What's wrong with Acer's BIOS ?

Old May 7th 07, 10:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer,microsoft.public.windows,alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default What's wrong with Acer's BIOS ?

Make: Acer
Model: Power SN, circa 1998
BIOS Version: 3.2
SMBios version: 2.1

Just updated the above machine from 192MB to 256MB, and when I reboot
it, the BIOS suddenly decided to play blind.

I had not done anything to the hard disk, nor the CDROM, but now,
according to the BIOS, they do NOT exist !

So I went back to the memory, downgrade it back to 192MB, with the
original memory modules.... Still... the bios plays blind !

HELP !

How to make the bios detect the drives ? I even tried it manually, but
all I got is the following:

"IDE Primary Channel Master Drive Error"
"Equipment COnfiguration Error"

In other words, the BIOS only see the floppy drive, and nothing else !

PLEASE HELP !

Thanks in advance !!

Old May 7th 07, 02:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer,microsoft.public.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Vanguard

penang wrote in message
ups.com...
Just updated the above machine from 192MB to 256MB, and when I reboot
it, the BIOS suddenly decided to play blind.
I had not done anything to the hard disk, nor the CDROM, but now,
according to the BIOS, they do NOT exist !
So I went back to the memory, downgrade it back to 192MB, with the
original memory modules.... Still... the bios plays blind !
How to make the bios detect the drives ? I even tried it manually, but
all I got is the following:
"IDE Primary Channel Master Drive Error"
"Equipment COnfiguration Error"
In other words, the BIOS only see the floppy drive, and nothing else !

So did you actually go back inside the box to check if you yanked on the
cables and need to reseat them? Did you reconnect them backwards?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS yet?

Next time take anti-static precautions. Just because you don't hear a
snap noise doesn't mean you didn't zap the parts with high enough
voltage.

Old May 17th 07, 12:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer,microsoft.public.windows,alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On May 7, 9:20 pm, "Vanguard" wrote:
penang wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

How to "clear the CMOS" ?

Old May 17th 07, 03:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer,microsoft.public.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 7, 9:20 pm, "Vanguard" wrote:
penang wrote in message

ups.com...

Just updated the above machine from 192MB to 256MB, and when I reboot
it, the BIOS suddenly decided to play blind.
I had not done anything to the hard disk, nor the CDROM, but now,
according to the BIOS, they do NOT exist !

Did you remove power from the power supply?

If the computer is only shut down and still plugged in, there is a good
chance that there is still power on the mainboard and you can do damage
installed parts where there is power.