I really don't want to drive back up to North Houston!

Old June 23rd 03, 05:29 PM
MD Vid

Default I really don't want to drive back up to North Houston!

I wouldn't want to drive in Houston under any circumstances, either.

JTH
"Strontium" wrote in message
It's a bad CMOS chip. The board is going back. I've cleared CMOS, till

the
cows came home. Thanks for your input, anyway.
-
tomcas stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

You need to unplug the PS before you short with the clear jumper. Then
remove the jumper before plugging the the PS back in. Also reinstall
the battery after you clear the CMOS. I've never had to remove the
battery
before clearing the CMOS on other Asus boards but I can't see as it
would hurt as long as you reinstall it after clearing. If you still
have trouble, try changing the position of the auto/manual JEN jumper
if
there is one on this board. Better to start with one memory stick at
first and trying different slots can help sometimes. If you still have
trouble, try removing any cards in the pci slots. Once you get to bios
setup go and load setup defaults.
Tom

Strontium wrote:

PS beforehand: Sorry for the crosspost, but I'm very sure that
someone in these two groups (homebuilt, and overclocking) has
experienced the same issue???

Ok, I've been looking for posts on this subject. While I continue
to look, I'll pose my problem: This is the Asus P4C800
motherboard. I cannot, for the life of me,
get into CMOS. This is an initial build. It detects all the
drives, yada, yada, then gives 4 rapid beeps (No BIOS timer,
according to the manual). The message displayed says "BIOS clock not
set" "Incorrect BIOS settings" and "Overclocking Failed" What
gives? CPU is a P42.4C, memory is Samsung PC3200. I've tried about
everything. Pulled one of the memory modules out, 'cleared'
CMOS...to no avail. On boot, the status says my memory is running
at 266MHz!!!!

The final insult: It tells me to enter setup to change settings. I
can't get there!

Currently, am leaving the battery out and leaving the clearcmos
jumper shorted. From reading (I posted this to the group) the Asus
MB group, this seems to be a recurring theme with the later
generation boards with respect to CMOS not discharging like it
should.

Anyone?

TIA

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Large Hard Drive & BIOS upgrade problems Lago Jardin Overclocking 10 June 13th 04 12:56 AM
two hd's on same IDE channel Steve James General 25 March 13th 04 01:06 AM
Help needed: problem installing XP on new system GJ General 26 March 1st 04 11:04 PM
hd cupcake Overclocking 13 February 20th 04 07:49 PM
Fan Controller and Fan causes floppy drive failure Andrew Diamond Overclocking 25 September 19th 03 07:51 AM