680i and e6700

Old February 22nd 07, 12:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Chappie

Default 680i and e6700

Gents I am confused at looking at guides that don't exactly match up with my
setup. I have a evga 680i SLI MB, Intel e6700 Core Duo, evga 8800GTX and 2
GB Corsair DDR2(?) memory. I just want to bump my system up slightly over
3.0 Ghz from 2.66. What settings do I change in the BIOS?? I have dabbled
with it some but it does not want to boot with the settings I used. Please
be specific in your answer and only reply if you have the same setup. Thanks

Steve

Old February 23rd 07, 02:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'Chappie' wrote:
| Gents I am confused at looking at guides that don't exactly match up with
my
| setup. I have a evga 680i SLI MB, Intel e6700 Core Duo, evga 8800GTX and 2
| GB Corsair DDR2(?) memory. I just want to bump my system up slightly over
| 3.0 Ghz from 2.66. What settings do I change in the BIOS?? I have dabbled
| with it some but it does not want to boot with the settings I used. Please
| be specific in your answer and only reply if you have the same setup.
_____

On the plus side your post states almost all the required information.

On the other hand you greatly limit the help you can get by asking that
anyone who replies have your exact system and that they be specific in
advice.

Anyone with experience with overclocking can get the required information
from the manual for your motherboard (available for download at the EVGA
website. After all, there is only one way to overclock an Intel x86 CPU and
at most three parameters to set, given adequate memory speed.

If you rephrase your request for help, I am certain that you will get
helpful advice.

Phil Weldon

Old February 23rd 07, 06:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Don Burnette

"Chappie" wrote in message
Gents I am confused at looking at guides that don't exactly match up with
my setup. I have a evga 680i SLI MB, Intel e6700 Core Duo, evga 8800GTX
and 2 GB Corsair DDR2(?) memory. I just want to bump my system up slightly
over 3.0 Ghz from 2.66. What settings do I change in the BIOS?? I have
dabbled with it some but it does not want to boot with the settings I
used. Please be specific in your answer and only reply if you have the
same setup. Thanks

Steve

I will be assembling, my new E6600, EVGA 680i, and 2gb Corsair DDR2 8500
hopefully this weekend.
I have been doing some research on this very thing, you might try starting
he

http://pc.ign.com/articles/747/747606p2.html

And he

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/45121/...erclocking.pdf

Hope this helps,

Don

Old February 23rd 07, 08:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'Don Burnette' wrote:
I will be assembling, my new E6600, EVGA 680i, and 2gb Corsair DDR2 8500
hopefully this weekend.
I have been doing some research on this very thing, you might try starting
he

http://pc.ign.com/articles/747/747606p2.html

And he

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/45121/...erclocking.pdf

_____

The nVidia document is a very valuable resource for overclocking. Thanks
for posting it. On the other hand, the IGN.com article is poor. It
advocates setting the CPU core voltage higher at the start, and increasing
the FSB speed by unreasonably large increments. The better method is to
start with the CPU core voltage at stock specification, and slowly raise the
FSB frequency by small increments, say 10 MHz or less. Then test for
stability. Once the highest stable speed with the stock CPU core voltage is
reached, increment the core voltage by a SMALL amount. Repeat until you
find the highest
stable speed at the lowest possible core voltage. Cooling also makes a big
difference, so at some time in this process you may want to try improving
CPU cooling.

Your goal may vary. One goal could be to reach the highest stable speed
with stock cooling and CPU core voltage. At the other end of the spectrum
is reaching the highest speed without requiring stability, using heroic
cooling and borderline-maximum CPU core voltage. (Heat will not cause
catastrophic failure of an Intel x86 CPU at least as new as the Pentium
MMX; raising the core voltage too far [~ 15% ] will cause immediate
catastrophic failure.)

Phil Weldon