What RAM should I get for my EVGA 680i Motherboard?

Old February 11th 07, 10:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael B.

Default What RAM should I get for my EVGA 680i Motherboard?

I would like to have 2GB (2 x 1GB sticks) in my soon-to-be built system. My
motherboard will be the EVGA 680i and my CPU will be the E6600. Graphics
card will be 8800GTS running Vista.

I am not planning to overlock for the time being. But being that the system
and the CPU can curretnyl support 1066Mhz, I don't want to get RAM which
will slow-down the system.

A few folks have been saying to just get the 800Mhz DDR-2 and when the
1333Mhz CPU chips come out later on this year, one can upgrade to better and
faster memory at that time. Here is the Corsair, which has been recommended
to me:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...t=pricegrabber

Looks like a good deal? Any comments?

THANK YOU!

Old February 12th 07, 05:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Michael B. wrote:
I would like to have 2GB (2 x 1GB sticks) in my soon-to-be built system. My
motherboard will be the EVGA 680i and my CPU will be the E6600. Graphics
card will be 8800GTS running Vista.

I am not planning to overlock for the time being. But being that the system
and the CPU can curretnyl support 1066Mhz, I don't want to get RAM which
will slow-down the system.

A few folks have been saying to just get the 800Mhz DDR-2 and when the
1333Mhz CPU chips come out later on this year, one can upgrade to better and
faster memory at that time. Here is the Corsair, which has been recommended
to me:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...t=pricegrabber

Looks like a good deal? Any comments?

THANK YOU!

With all the rebates, yeah, it looks like a good deal. Just don't
go buying any $400 memory, because that is bad value for money.

You're getting 2GB of DDR2-800 CAS4, for a final price of $195
(assuming you get your rebate cheque). The cheapest memory
I can find, at 2GB total capacity and any speed grade, is $150
or so. So you're only paying $45 more, and getting CAS4. And
chances are, your combo of motherboard and RAM supports EPP,
so there won't be a problem getting the Vdimm correctly set at
POST.

It is quite possible you'll find this RAM is a "keeper".

Paul