Checksum errors on CPU

Old February 12th 07, 05:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John

Default Checksum errors on CPU

Hi,

I've been getting a few (plenty) of crashes when running games, but
otherwise PC is pretty stable.
The machine is about 7 months old, problems have existed from day 1. Yeah I
don;t play games much, but now its starting to annoy me.

(sorry don't have system specs on hand, but looking for general advice if
possible. Friend built it for me, he's built like 50 others, so not
complete newb, but should factor this into advice.)

Chkdsk will fix harddisk errors on start up after a crash, and some games
throw a crc error before crash, with error log pointing to a specific file
on the harddrive (though file not always the same). Chkdsk always fixes the
problem on startup.

I ran hot cpu, and it came back with multiple chksum errors from both CPUs,
but otherwsie all other hardware passed, even the hard drive tests. I also
ran the diagnotic software for the hard drive (from vendor), 2 hour test and
SMART, and no errors.

Also used heavy load to stress test, and PC ran fine for a hour, then I
closed the application. i.e no crash.

Does this mean the CPUs are both stuffed. Is this realy possible, seems
unlikely, should I be looking at something else, like the mobo??

What should I be thinking about for the next step?

Heat, replace CPUs, other diagnostic software.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the general direction..

Cheers

Old February 12th 07, 01:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
meerkat

"John" wrote in message
Hi,

I've been getting a few (plenty) of crashes when running games, but
otherwise PC is pretty stable.
The machine is about 7 months old, problems have existed from day 1. Yeah
I don;t play games much, but now its starting to annoy me.

I suppose the machine is overclocked ?.
If it is, try backing it off a little.

Old February 12th 07, 02:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John

"meerkat" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
Hi,

I've been getting a few (plenty) of crashes when running games, but
otherwise PC is pretty stable.
The machine is about 7 months old, problems have existed from day 1. Yeah
I don;t play games much, but now its starting to annoy me.

I suppose the machine is overclocked ?.
If it is, try backing it off a little.

No, just plain vanilla setup.. Like I said, I don't game much, so you
don't need to overclock to web surf...

I'm not sure what to focus my attention on.. I can't believe both CPU's are
stuffed.. Maybe I'm misinterpreting HOT CPU's messages.

There's definately something not quite right, but its all good enough for
regular work, just falls over on when pushed. I used to put it down to
crappy software, but I'm thinking its a hardware problem somewhere, and
while I once thought harddrive, that doesn;t seem to gel with the
diagnotics. Wonder if 12 moths warranty is standard on pc parts... somehow
I doubt it.

Cheers.

Old February 12th 07, 02:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
meerkat

"John" wrote in message

"meerkat" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
Hi,

I've been getting a few (plenty) of crashes when running games, but
otherwise PC is pretty stable.
The machine is about 7 months old, problems have existed from day 1.
Yeah I don;t play games much, but now its starting to annoy me.

A couple of articles here..

http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/cy...edundancy.html

And..
http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/cd-recovery.html
For CD/DVD checking.

Old February 12th 07, 02:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Gerard Bok

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 05:54:57 GMT, "John"
wrote:

I've been getting a few (plenty) of crashes when running games, but
otherwise PC is pretty stable.

Does this mean the CPUs are both stuffed. Is this realy possible, seems
unlikely, should I be looking at something else, like the mobo??

What should I be thinking about for the next step?

Heat, replace CPUs, other diagnostic software.

CRC errors are typically memory related, not CPU related.
memtest86.com
Create a floppy or burn a CDR.
Let it start from there and leave it to run overnight.
That should tell you :-)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Who Is Mike Richter & Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him? (ii) NoNoBadDog! Cdr 0 July 1st 06 09:53 PM
Nero Burner smh Cdr 5 March 29th 06 07:09 PM
Plextor Roxio OEM Easy Media Creator 6 & 7 with NEC drive? * * Chas Cdr 1 March 29th 06 06:31 PM
Nero 6 Differential and Incremental BackItUp Neil Cdr 1 March 3rd 06 12:34 AM
What CD-RW media is better, Opto or Infodisc? (nt) Saucer Man Cdr 4 January 29th 06 03:19 PM