a couple of easy questions

Old October 23rd 07, 04:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Matt[_5_]

Default a couple of easy questions

I have a Gigabyte 6800GT that I'm trying to salvage and use in a system
built to run Photoshop but the fan is making a very loud roaring noise which
I take to mean that it will die soon. Will the card be ok in terms of heat
if the fan doesn't run since I'm just running Photoshop? Or can I get
replacement fans for this card?

Old October 23rd 07, 04:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Matt wrote:
I have a Gigabyte 6800GT that I'm trying to salvage and use in a system
built to run Photoshop but the fan is making a very loud roaring noise which
I take to mean that it will die soon. Will the card be ok in terms of heat
if the fan doesn't run since I'm just running Photoshop? Or can I get
replacement fans for this card?

If a video card has a fan and it doesn't work, chances are any sustained
usage will bork it. Even if you don't use the rendering circuitry.

So you are better off getting a replacement fan, either one of the wee
ones that has the 2-pin connector to directly replace with minor
surgery, or you can mount a fan to blow on the heatsink, quick ugly and
effective.

Old October 23rd 07, 05:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
tony h

try a single drop of sewing machine oil on the bearing (may have to remove a
centre sticker to access) , usually solves it for me.

Old October 23rd 07, 11:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_4_]

The video card WILL fry itself, if you use it at all without the fan.

--
---------------------
DaveW

---------------------

Old October 24th 07, 10:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Geoff

"Matt" wrote in message
I have a Gigabyte 6800GT that I'm trying to salvage and use in a system
built to run Photoshop but the fan is making a very loud roaring noise
which I take to mean that it will die soon. Will the card be ok in terms of
heat if the fan doesn't run since I'm just running Photoshop? Or can I get
replacement fans for this card?

just get a new fan for it
gfx cooler don't cost that much ?

photoshop will hardly push that card to it's limits
it's the 3D that does that

don't run it without it's fan, it will melt

oh, you should be able to get a replacement cooler+fan for it
or even just a fan, depends if it's a standard fan, which it prob isn't