Connect Parallel Printer to USB?

Old May 19th 07, 01:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Charlie Allnut

Default Connect Parallel Printer to USB?

Just got me a nice new Dimension E521 desktop with WIN XP instead of Vista.
Very nice computer-- except Mikey saved a few bucks by leaving off a
parallel port. Now I see how he could get it on my doorstep in three days
for only $349!!

My little used and in excellent condition HP LaserJet 6L printer is parallel
output only-- so I picked up a parallel to USB adaptor but that didn't work.
No drivers for my printer are available on the little CD that came with the
adaptor and none turn up on a web search.

I guess I could add a parallel I/O card-- though there's not many spare
slots on the MB. Or I could set up an Ethernet or wireless print network--
but that's an expensive solution as is getting a new printer. Guess maybe my
sweet deal wasn't so sweet after all....

Any suggestions?

Old May 19th 07, 02:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pen

Charlie Allnut wrote:
Just got me a nice new Dimension E521 desktop with WIN XP instead of Vista.
Very nice computer-- except Mikey saved a few bucks by leaving off a
parallel port. Now I see how he could get it on my doorstep in three days
for only $349!!

My little used and in excellent condition HP LaserJet 6L printer is parallel
output only-- so I picked up a parallel to USB adaptor but that didn't work.
No drivers for my printer are available on the little CD that came with the
adaptor and none turn up on a web search.

I guess I could add a parallel I/O card-- though there's not many spare
slots on the MB. Or I could set up an Ethernet or wireless print network--
but that's an expensive solution as is getting a new printer. Guess maybe my
sweet deal wasn't so sweet after all....

Any suggestions?

I'm using a USB to paralell on an HP Deskjet and found the only drivers
I needed were the regular windows ones for the printer. After you hook
up the printer try a normal install of the 6L.
Old May 19th 07, 02:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

There won't ever be any drivers for any printer on a CD that comes with a
parallel to USB adapter.

First, install the adapter with its drivers.
Second, take note of the USB port assigned to it.
Third, install the XP drivers for 6L, choosing the USB port of the adapter. I'm
assuming that there are LaserJet 6L drivers as part of XP. I never set up a 6L.

That really ought to do it. I have done similar, installing USB printers with
parallel port adapters and parallel printers with USB adapters quite a few
times... Ben Myers