Dell PowerEdge PE2950 System Board OEM/ODM

Old May 14th 07, 02:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Dell PowerEdge PE2950 System Board OEM/ODM

Hi all

Does anyone know which OEM/ODM makes the system board (motherboard)
for the Dell PowerEdge PE2950? Even better if someone knows the model
number too -) I believe PE1950 and PE1955 use the same board too.

I am considering buying one of these for my company but we do have a
bunch of old legacy peripherals and applications, and if I know the
original board mfr. this might help work out what is going to work and
what won't ahead of time.

Thanks!
Kenneth

Old May 14th 07, 05:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Thanks for the response.

I know that Dell use Foxconn, Quanta and ASUSTek for some of their kit
but I am not too sure about their server ranges; we do have some
eclectic apps and peripherals, and in any case I would be interested
to know. I have searched around but haven't seen any other whitebox
boards or chassis with the mix of dual LGA-771 Socket (aka Socket J),
Intel 5000X chipset and the Broadcom NIC's, asides from models from
IBM and HP. (Maybe all three are using the same supplier, who
knows.) TBH there seems to be a complete dearth of white-box boards
for dual LGA-771, but that would be another discussion for another
newsgroup.

In any case would be curious to know.

cheers, Kenneth

It's a Dell, I suspect. Dell has boards built to their specs by a number
of manufacturers. They often resemble other vendor's motherboards, but
differ is subtle ways.

That said, they're pretty standard, so unless you have weird
peripherals, they should work.

Tom

Old May 14th 07, 06:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Hi

Have already read those and more. Like any small form factor system
the motherboard will use riser cards for expansion cards; but that was
not my question here.

regards
Kenneth

Go here and read the various docs. It looks like the motherboard alone
has no ports but, rather every thing is on plug in risers.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/en/index.htm

Old May 14th 07, 06:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

Have already read those and more. Like any small form factor system
the motherboard will use riser cards for expansion cards; but that was
not my question here.

regards
Kenneth

Ken -

As an aside, you know you have 21 days from invoice with which to return the
unit if the apps gack, right?

If you can get the machine set up for test pretty quickly you can probably
get your answer well within the return period.

Just a thought.

Old May 14th 07, 10:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Hi

Good bit of lateral thinking; unfortunately here in Europe you usually
have to sue or at least threaten to sue Dell before they will take
anything back, unless you are a consumer or you are a really large
company with Gold service support etc. or you can easily prove it was
a machine defect. In the case of an in-house app. which pukes that
would be impossible.

I think they are a bit more customer-focussed in the States. That is
another discussion (which I don't propose kicking off here), but of
course I would rather increase my chances of knowing everything works
first time around, and I am also just a bit curious what stuff they
are putting into the servers these days.

cheers, Kenneth