Which Video Card?

Old May 9th 07, 01:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Compulady

Default Which Video Card?

Both NVIDIO and ATI cards are the same price on the 1505 laptop. Why
would I choose one card over the other? Of course, they both have a
49.00 discount so I'm betting something new is on the horizon.

I'm deciding whether to order a laptop today or wait to see what is
going on. I know there are new processors coming but not for a few
months.

Opinions? Which card ?

Anyone think there will be any better deals over Memorial Day?

Old May 9th 07, 09:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Greg[_4_]

Here is a good website that gives you comparative information on NVIDIA and
ATI:

ati: http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=98&pgno=0

nvidia: http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=98&pgno=1

ups.com...

Old May 10th 07, 02:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sparky Spartacus

Compulady wrote:
Both NVIDIO and ATI cards are the same price on the 1505 laptop. Why
would I choose one card over the other?

I'd go with the nvidia based on prior problems with ATI drivers and my
experience with several nvidia cads.

YMMV, of course.
Old May 10th 07, 03:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pen

Compulady wrote:
Both NVIDIO and ATI cards are the same price on the 1505 laptop. Why
would I choose one card over the other? Of course, they both have a
49.00 discount so I'm betting something new is on the horizon.

I'm deciding whether to order a laptop today or wait to see what is
going on. I know there are new processors coming but not for a few
months.

Opinions? Which card ?

Anyone think there will be any better deals over Memorial Day?

I agree with the others, I've had nothing but bad driver experiences
with ATI and nothing but good experiences with nVidia video cards.
Old May 10th 07, 03:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

This is a difficult choice. nVidia graphics chips have long run very hot. ATI's
graphics drivers are sometimes flaky. Flip a coin. I lean ever so slightly
towards ATI... Ben Myers

Old May 10th 07, 04:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Historically I would have agreed with you, but recent nVidia cards that
run pretty cool. My 7600GS is passively cooled and works well. My
8600GT has a fan, but you can't even hear it.

Tom

Old May 10th 07, 06:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

nVidia has had to do something to counteract the reputation gained from cards
just plain burning out and either failing or displaying weirdness on screen. Now
they need to impose stringent engineering design and manufacturing quality
requirements on the whole host of Pacific Rim companies that mill out nVidia
chip cards by the thousands. If nVidia cannot influence the choice of parts
(like fans) and manufacturing process, it can't do much about the final product
except supply the chips. As it is, most of the companies manufacture cards
based on nVidia's own reference design, supplied as part of an manufacturing
deal... Ben Myers

Old May 11th 07, 12:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

My 2nd ATI card on my P4 had a fan that kept getting louder and louder
until I had to yank it. I will go with passively cooled cards, if
that's an option, in the future. Fortunately my P4 just went out the
door so I don't need the defective card.

Old May 11th 07, 03:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Was your noisy card sold with the ATI brand or with just an ATI chip, some other
brand? You may not be able to get away with a passively cooled card in the
future unless graphics chip and card manufacturers are able to reduce operating
voltages significantly. One of the hallmarks of graphics card speed is the
ability to run the graphics chip at a very high clock speed. The faster the
clock, the more the heat.

ATI placed itself in an uneviable position before it was acquired by AMD. They
sell cards under their own brand name, made by a contract electronics
manufacturer. They sell ATI chips to companies that manufacture cards for sale
under THEIR brand name. So ATI is competing against the companies to whom it
sells chips. In theory at least, an ATI branded card is better in quality than
Asus, Diamond, PowerColor, Gigabyte, MSI, Visiontek and all the others, to
justify its premium price. But I dunno any more... Ben Myers

Old May 11th 07, 07:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

The card is a Radeon 9250 256M DDR Memory. It looks like it's well
made. There is a fan with the metal "cooling channels" around it. It
had dual display capability, and it looks like S-Video out. I used it
in my P4 (which I unloaded today woo hoo) along with another,
different ATI card. It took a lot of trial and error to get them to
work so I could have 4 monitors.

But I digress. My computer started to make noise, which I
subconsciously ignored for a while until it got my attention. I was
glad that it was the extra video card and not a hard drive. It is a
shame that a perfectly good video card is now useless to me because of
the fan. If someone wants the card they can have it for the cost of
shipping. I would much rather have someone be able to fix it and use
it rather than for it to be useless just sitting here.