pci-x card in a pci slot

Old May 10th 07, 10:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default pci-x card in a pci slot

I have just bought a pci-x raid card, and thought that it could be
used in my server with pci version 2.2 or 2.3 (both 3.3v and 5v
right?)

The pci-x card is of course 3.3v, but it will not fit because the
card was designet til work on pci 3.3v only.

Could the motherboard be modified to work with the card anyway? If the
plastic (showed on the bottom of the picture) was removed then the
card would fit. But would it work? I can see that the pins (showed in
the top of the picture) on the card are not in use where the hole
should have been.

http://peecee.dk/uploads/0507/11_123.jpg

Any thoughts?

Old May 10th 07, 12:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

I have just bought a pci-x raid card, and thought that it could be
used in my server with pci version 2.2 or 2.3 (both 3.3v and 5v
right?)

The pci-x card is of course 3.3v, but it will not fit because the
card was designet til work on pci 3.3v only.

Could the motherboard be modified to work with the card anyway? If the
plastic (showed on the bottom of the picture) was removed then the
card would fit. But would it work? I can see that the pins (showed in
the top of the picture) on the card are not in use where the hole
should have been.

http://peecee.dk/uploads/0507/11_123.jpg

I feel a John McEnroe moment coming on...

Old May 10th 07, 12:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

wrote:
I have just bought a pci-x raid card, and thought that it could be
used in my server with pci version 2.2 or 2.3 (both 3.3v and 5v
right?)

The pci-x card is of course 3.3v, but it will not fit because the
card was designet til work on pci 3.3v only.

Could the motherboard be modified to work with the card anyway? If the
plastic (showed on the bottom of the picture) was removed then the
card would fit. But would it work? I can see that the pins (showed in
the top of the picture) on the card are not in use where the hole
should have been.

http://peecee.dk/uploads/0507/11_123.jpg

Any thoughts?

The key is there for a reason. If a card will not fit, because
of a mechanical feature like that, the feature is saying "no,
it won't work, so don't even try".

The PCI slot has several voltage supplies. It can have 3.3V and
5V, suitable for powering the core of the PCI card's main chip.
There is a third supply, called VIO, and it is a "design time
variable". On existing desktop systems, the motherboard designer
chooses to set VIO to 5V, and all the motherboard chips sitting on the
PCI bus, use 5V signalling. The motherboard designer buys PCI
connectors that indicate, via the key, that 5V signalling is in use
and that 5V has been connected to the VIO supply rail. The
pictures here might help:

http://www.4crawler.com/Developer/Vi...CI/index.shtml

If a PCI card doesn't have a 5V slot present on the edge connector,
it means the design is not prepared to run at 5V signalling and VIO.
Some PCI cards are universal, and can handle signalling at either
3.3V or 5V. They have both slots cut, and can deal with a motherboard
where 3.3V was connected to the VIO line, or 5V was connected to
the VIO line.

There is an example of a PCI chip which is intended for use on a
universal card. You can see the chip is both flexible and has
constraints, with respect to the core voltage, and the support
for 3.3V or 5V VIO situations. When this chip is used on a PCI
card, it is possible to cut both slots on the card, at least
if the right core voltage (5V) is used.

http://www.exar.com/products/17d154-121-110304.pdf

Paul
Old May 10th 07, 03:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Thanks Paul

Old May 11th 07, 10:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

I have just bought a pci-x raid card, and thought that it could be
used in my server with pci version 2.2 or 2.3 (both 3.3v and 5v
right?)

The pci-x card is of course 3.3v, but it will not fit because the
card was designet til work on pci 3.3v only.

Could the motherboard be modified to work with the card anyway? If the
plastic (showed on the bottom of the picture) was removed then the
card would fit. But would it work? I can see that the pins (showed in
the top of the picture) on the card are not in use where the hole
should have been.

http://peecee.dk/uploads/0507/11_123.jpg

Any thoughts?

No you cannot cut out the plastic so it fits and have it
work.

What you might try instead is drilling four holes in the
middle of the card so you can attach a USB cable and run it
that way.

USB 2.0 of course!