Graphics card & LCD monitor died together...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 23rd 06, 04:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Graphics card & LCD monitor died together...

Talk about a wierd day. My Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card and
NEC Multisync 1810 LCD monitor all failed together. My Speedtouch
router was stopped working but after about an hour of trying different
phone jacks in the house, it inexplicably fixed itself.

Here's the problems - hopefully someone recognises these problems and
can advise me what to do next.

The graphics card was working fine up till now. Now and then when I
reboot the comp, I'd get a continuous beeping sound. Jiggling around
the auxiliary power input to the card seemed to get rid of the beeping.
While I was moving around the comp, I bumped into the graphics card (my
side panel is open to allow air in - too hot otherwise). The computer
immediately shut down. When I restarted it, my screen would artifact
very badly (couldn't read any BIOS output that usually appears at
start). Moving the graphics card to another PC still caused
artifacting, so I am pretty sure the graphics card is at fault.

Do graphics card die like that - with artifacts, or do they just
produce no output? Is there any way to fix it, given the warranty is
probably expired by now?

The NEC Multisync monitor doesn't realise the input cable is plugged
in. If I plug it into (another working) graphics card, it says "No
signal". It is one of those older cables where it splits into 5
connectors for the LCD (R,G,B and 2 others). Closer inspection of the
male part of the cable that goes to the female graphics card shows
5x4x5 pins, with an apparently missing 15th pin. Is this my problem?
Should all graphic card cables have 15 pins? What is this type of cable
called so I can buy a replacement?

Thanks.