Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What case should I buy?

Old February 6th 07, 09:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What case should I buy?

Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

Old February 6th 07, 12:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lord0

On 6 Feb, 08:13, "k" wrote:
Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

Yes it is possible. Many Macs are built this way. As for what case - I
dunno. There are many google hits for "silent pc"

Old February 6th 07, 04:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

"k" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

If you want to go without fans, you will need water cooling for CPU,
graphics card, mainboard chipset and hard drive(s). This will be a
considerable investment in terms of research, money and time. When you are
done, you will need at least one fan in the system still. Best bet would be
to get a really QUIET power supply with exhaust fan(s) such as a Seasonic
brand power supply in particular. While a power supply fan cools the power
supply primarily, it also draws some limited amount of air through the case.
So you could get by using JUST the power supply exhaust fan to cool the
system, probably.

You can't go totally without fans. Even if every major component is
water-cooled, you will still have problems if the ambient temperature in the
case gets too high. That will happen without at least some minimal amount
of airflow. That's why you can't go totally fanless.

There are cases designed specifically for better airflow. But regardless of
what case you buy, you still need a fan somewhere to move air through
t. -Dave

Old February 11th 07, 07:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Damaeus

In news:alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, "Mike T." posted
on Tue, 6 Feb 2007 10:09:50 -0500:

There are cases designed specifically for better airflow. But regardless of
what case you buy, you still need a fan somewhere to move air through
t. -Dave

And then there's the dust. My god, I just rebuilt my system. There was
enough dust hanging around in there to make a mud pie. There might be such
a case in existence now, but what I'd really like to see is an airtight
case with removable air filters. I just take the air filter out once a
week or something, knock the dust out of it, and put it back in.

But airtight is too much to ask for, really. I no longer install floppy
drives in my computer. The last one I had in there I used the first day I
installed it. I didn't use it again for about a year, then I needed it.
There was so much dust in it that it wouldn't work anymore. So air gets
sucked in through all the peripherals, too. I think this might have more
to do with having more air flowing out than is flowing in. So I wonder
what the result might be if I set my system so that all fans blow inward.
I'm sure that'll just clog things up from the inside out, but if I had
those air filters I mentioned before, dust in the machine could be
minimized. And that would help keep dust from gathering in the CPU's
heatsink.

Damaeus
--
Motherboard Abit Fatal1ty AN9 32X
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core

Old March 22nd 07, 03:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
KR

On Feb 7, 1:09 am, "Mike T." wrote:
"k" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hello!
[...]

WES components in Sydney Australia now stock a fanless ATX power
supply for about $100AU, they also stock the thermaltake "sonic tower"
fanless cpu cooler for $59 AU.
http://www.wescomponents.com/
see chapter 16 of the catalog - (computer)

If you are outside Australia, you will probably find these items where
you live if you do a bit of a search on the web.

Note that to use the fanless CPU cooler, you will need excellent
cabinet ventilation, I would suggest replacing side(s) with punched
metal mesh (like speaker grille) and possibly the top of the case as
well, to guarantee good natural airflow to the heatsink stack of the
"sonic tower". Allowing plenty of airflow around the case is also
vital too.

Checking the "temperature alarm" and "temperature shutdown" settings
in the bios are adequate would be a good idea, and having a fan
attatched to the "sonic tower" (brackets are supplied) with a
temperature sensor so it will come on if it overheats would also be a
good idea if there is any chance that the cabinet temperature can rise
above safe levels. An emergency case fan with a temperature sensor
also would be worth considering too.

Old March 23rd 07, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
w_tom

On Mar 22, 10:56 am, "KR" wrote:
WES components in Sydney Australia now stock a fanless ATX power
supply for about $100AU, they also stock the thermaltake "sonic tower"
fanless cpu cooler for $59 AU.http://www.wescomponents.com/
see chapter 16 of the catalog - (computer)

If you are outside Australia, you will probably find these items where
you live if you do a bit of a search on the web.

EE Times Magazine described another in Jan 2007:
Logic Supply Inc diminutive SolidLogic GS-L05 fanless Mini-ITX
computer system is completely solid-state and compatible with a
wide range of Intel-based and Via Technologies-based Mini-ITX
form factor motherboards or mainboards. ....
The GS-L05 uses heat pipes and heat sinks for passive cooling.
The approach eliminates reliability concerns that fan-cooled
cases can present in harsh, hostile or remote environments.

Fanless systems are intended for industrial environments where the
computer is sealed inside the box - no airflow.

Old February 6th 07, 05:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Geoff

Fans are not the only problem, I had a seagate cheetah, 10,000 rpm, that was
noisy as hell. Vibration was not the problem because I even held it with my
hands and it still made a lot of noise.

-g

Old February 6th 07, 10:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Feb 6, 7:11 pm, "geoff" wrote:
Fans are not the only problem, I had a seagate cheetah, 10,000 rpm, that was
noisy as hell. Vibration was not the problem because I even held it with my
hands and it still made a lot of noise.

-g

Thanks geoff for your comment!
I use Samsung 2514, which is a quietest 250gb drive.

Old February 6th 07, 06:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
(Imhotep)

k wrote:
Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

Start he

http://www.silentpcreview.com/
Old February 6th 07, 10:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
FKS

"k" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

You can build a silent PC with fans. My core 2 duo system has 6 fans - 1
cpu, 1 PSU, 1 graphic card and 3 case fans. I don't hear any noise from it
although it's just one feet away from me (I'm ultra sensitive to noise,
BTW). I use only Zalman and Silenx fans. Also, keep in mind that hard drives
can generate lots of noise, too. I only use Seagate HDDs. I find them ultra
quiet.

Case fans question... Travis King Asus Motherboards 8 June 27th 04 06:52 PM
Silent Computer - Advice David Taylor Homebuilt PC's 51 October 7th 03 11:26 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Homebuilt PC's 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Dell Computers 34 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM