Question about WEP encryption

Old January 20th 05, 12:48 AM
Dave

Default Question about WEP encryption

I just set up a Linksys wireless router. I was having trouble getting
connected and the guy at tech support had me disaaable WEP encryption.
He assured me that WEP only blocks other people from sharing my
bandwidth and that disabling it does not pose any other security
threats as long as I use a good firewall (I do).

True?

Thanks.
Old January 20th 05, 12:38 PM
Dark Warrior_

any shared files and shared stuff you got on your pc will be left open to
any once connecting to your network.

there are allot of loop holes in winxp with printer sharing if you got it
on, then your leaving your self to allot of trouble.

Old January 20th 05, 02:53 PM
Alceryes

"Dave" wrote in message
I just set up a Linksys wireless router. I was having trouble getting
connected and the guy at tech support had me disaaable WEP encryption.
He assured me that WEP only blocks other people from sharing my
bandwidth and that disabling it does not pose any other security
threats as long as I use a good firewall (I do).

True?

Thanks.

There is a greater chance of someone accessing shares (printer and folders).
However with your software firewall your pretty much protected (as long as
it's on and always up to date).
WEP will stop your neighbor from jumping on your internet connection but it
will not stop a determined 'wardriver'. If someone really wanted to get
through WEP it would only be a matter of that person 'sniffing' enough
packets to break the encryption (I think it's about 4 hrs for 64-bit and 8
hrs for 128-bit, constant traffic of course)
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"

- Alceryes

Old January 21st 05, 12:07 AM
DaveW

Wrong! People can surf your computer if they are in the immediate
neighborhood if WEP isn't enabled.

--
DaveW

Old January 22nd 05, 12:33 AM
Mark

"DaveW" wrote in message
Wrong! People can surf your computer if they are in the immediate
neighborhood if WEP isn't enabled.

--
DaveW

Is this still the case if MAC address authentication is turned on? How hard
would it be to hack in, in that case?

Old January 23rd 05, 01:04 PM
Skeleton Man

Wrong! People can surf your computer if they are in the immediate
neighborhood if WEP isn't enabled.

Is this still the case if MAC address authentication is turned on? How hard
would it be to hack in, in that case?

More security through obscurity than anything.. You can change a MAC address
without too much difficulty, but they would still need to find a MAC address
that's listed in the table of valid ones.. Also a pain in the ass if you
replace a network card or something..

Turn on WEP.. for the most part it's a simple effective option.. (you would
likely notice if someone was sitting outside your house for 4 hours trying to
crack it.. anyone with a life has better things to do also)

Regards,
Chris

Old January 23rd 05, 08:16 PM
kony

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:04:49 GMT, "Skeleton Man"
wrote:

Wrong! People can surf your computer if they are in the immediate
neighborhood if WEP isn't enabled.

Is this still the case if MAC address authentication is turned on? How hard
would it be to hack in, in that case?

More security through obscurity than anything.. You can change a MAC address
without too much difficulty, but they would still need to find a MAC address
that's listed in the table of valid ones.. Also a pain in the ass if you
replace a network card or something..

If you only have MACs in use, listed, there is no spare MAC
address for them to find.

Turn on WEP.. for the most part it's a simple effective option.. (you would
likely notice if someone was sitting outside your house for 4 hours trying to
crack it.. anyone with a life has better things to do also)

It is a good idea and will make life easier. It also slows
down an already slow network. Another layer of security is
usually a good idea, BUT suppose someone was able to connect
to a wifi lan, they shouldn't then find they have free roam
of it either.
Old January 23rd 05, 08:52 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:48:17 -0800, Dave wrote:

I just set up a Linksys wireless router. I was having trouble getting
connected and the guy at tech support had me disaaable WEP encryption.
He assured me that WEP only blocks other people from sharing my
bandwidth and that disabling it does not pose any other security
threats as long as I use a good firewall (I do).

True?

Thanks.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting WEP to work, just make sure that
the WEP keys on your router and on your clients are identical. BTW you
should use 128 bit WEP not 64 bit, 64 bit is so weak as to be almost
useless.

Cable Modem Question Dan Rather General 1 October 10th 06 12:12 PM
motherboard for gaming question bam General 5 June 18th 04 07:33 AM
Printer question! Alon Brodski General 3 May 10th 04 05:13 AM
newbie question about dvd-r/cd-r harrypotter General 11 January 11th 04 03:52 AM
Memory Question - outcome of exceeding the memory limits of a machine. John B. General 4 November 4th 03 12:25 PM