Can I suppress a wireless message?

Old February 10th 09, 04:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Hank Arnold (MVP)[_2_]

Default Can I suppress a wireless message?

I have a bunch of Dell E5500 laptops that we are starting to roll out.
One "problem" is the fact that the wireless signal icon always pops up a
message about there being wireless networks nearby.

We control our laptops and employees are prohibited from using other
wireless that the one at work. This includes home and hot spots. The
problem here is that when this comes up, it prompts them to try and set
it up.

Currently, there is no way (that I know of) to lock the wireless down so
that the end user can't change the wireless configuration or set up
access to other network. If someone knows how to do this, I would
*really* appreciate it.

Back to the original question: How do I suppress the "Other networks"
prompt from appearing? Can I do it? It would be a big help...

TIA,
Hank Arnold (MVP)

Old February 11th 09, 03:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ps56k

wrote:

[...]

even better - what are ya an MVP for - Microsoft what ?

Old February 11th 09, 11:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:26:46 -0600, "ps56k"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Obviously not in wireless networks g !

To be honest, I've dealt with home wireless networks for at least 10
years now and I'm still baffled once in a while. Yeah, I eventually
solve it but not always in a timely fashion in my opinion. I can't
imagine trying to make a client happy when sometimes I can't make
myself happy tho I'm my worst critic.

Last, good question about Hank but I mean it respectfully so I know
when to ask Hank a question. MVPs are specialized and within their
specialty, they are pretty sharp.
Old February 11th 09, 11:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Feb 11, 5:17*am, RnR wrote:
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:26:46 -0600, "ps56k"

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Maybe Hank is embarrassed to ask another MVP?
Old February 11th 09, 02:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless
ps56k

Default Can I suppress the wireless networks avail message?

wrote in message
On Feb 11, 5:17 am, RnR wrote:
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:26:46 -0600, "ps56k"

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

1 - what does he mean by....
We control our laptops and employees are prohibited from using other
wireless that the one at work. This includes home and hot spots. The
problem here is that when this comes up, it prompts them to try and set
it up.

How are they "controlling" - just by telling folks not to do it
Is this a "rollout" from a company - with a domain controller ?
and therefore group policy capable security ?

Not sure exactly, but can't you specifiy in Windows which SSID's to connect,
and potentially ignore the rest ? I guess the bubble "Networks Available"
pops up anyway ?

Old February 11th 09, 02:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless
ps56k

Last, good question about Hank but I mean it respectfully so I know
when to ask Hank a question. MVPs are specialized and within their
specialty, they are pretty sharp.

Maybe Hank is embarrassed to ask another MVP?

hmmm - you would think he would know how to "control"
access to changing the wifi software config - unless it's not WZC,
and there are other issues involved
---
Hank Arnold - Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
---