Latitude C400 Loose Hinges - Easily Fixable?

Old July 21st 05, 09:50 AM
maian

Default Latitude C400 Loose Hinges - Easily Fixable?

Hi, I have a coworker's latitude c400 here for formatting &
reinstalling. I've noticed that the hinges are quite loose, the screen
being able to swing 10cm.

I have an Airis laptop (spanish brand) and the same thing happened, and
I was able to fix the problem easily by screwing the hinges tighter.

Does anybody know how easy it is to fix the hinge problem? Is it just a
case of opening up the case and screwing the hinges tighter? I've
looked at dell's service manual for the c400 and it looks easy enough
to open up the case, I just don't want to go to that trouble if in the
end it has to be serviced by dell for it to be fixed.

Old July 21st 05, 03:01 PM
S.Lewis

"maian" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I have a coworker's latitude c400 here for formatting &
reinstalling. I've noticed that the hinges are quite loose, the screen
being able to swing 10cm.

I have an Airis laptop (spanish brand) and the same thing happened, and
I was able to fix the problem easily by screwing the hinges tighter.

Does anybody know how easy it is to fix the hinge problem? Is it just a
case of opening up the case and screwing the hinges tighter? I've
looked at dell's service manual for the c400 and it looks easy enough
to open up the case, I just don't want to go to that trouble if in the
end it has to be serviced by dell for it to be fixed.

It is probably either worn or loose hinges. If the machine has remaining
onsite warranty, let Dell do it. That way if some plastics or anything else
were to be broken by the onsite tech, Dell would replace them as well.

Also, the tech will likely come onsite with replacement hinges, something
you'd have to order and wait for *after* you did all of that work yourself.

Stew

Old July 22nd 05, 10:48 AM
maian

This machine is like 4 - 5 years old - no warranty. In the end I've
decided not to bother, its not worth it, because the guy just has the
laptop in a docking bay with a tft connected to it, so he doesn't even
use it.

Thanks