laserjet III maintenance

Old June 27th 03, 03:10 AM
krypton

Default laserjet III maintenance

wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:31:16 +1200, "krypton"
wrote:

I have a HP laserjet III that has done 65000 pages total and now needs a
replacement pick-up roller and maybe separation pad.

For the mimor difference in costs, I would replace the pickup roller
and separation pad as well as the ozone filter. I'd also check the
condition of the rollers in the fuser. If there are signs of scratches
on the hot roller and if there are signs of wrinkling on the preasure
roller, I'd at least replace them if not the whole fuser. I'd also
check both the upper power supply cooling fan as well as the lower
cooling fan for freedom of rotation. If there is any binding I'd also
replace those. Not much else that can go wrong really with the low
page count you have.

Frank

Thanks for that, I have replaced both the roller and separation pad and it
seems to have fixed the problem. There is 1 large roller in the fuser unit
which has scratches but as far as I can tell it is not causing any problems.
However when doing a printer selftest I notice some letters and numbers
showing up in the bar graph where it should be solid black, could this be
caused by the drum in the toner cartridge coming to the end of it's life,
certainly the toner must be close to drying up, I have gotten an incredible
amount of pages from this 1 toner cartridge.

Old June 27th 03, 04:50 AM

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:10:21 +1200, "krypton"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yup, that's probably the drum. Have reliable refiller check it for
you.

Frank
Old June 27th 03, 05:14 AM
krypton

wrote:

I have a HP laserjet III that has done 65000 pages total and now needs a
replacement pick-up roller and maybe separation pad.

I had an HPIII for 11 years and printed just under 200K pages. It
worked flawlessly, but at 180K I had to replace the pick up roller and
the separation pad....and then damn near everything else went one by
one. My advice would be to cut your losses and buy a new one.

I've taken the gamble and replaced these parts, if mine lasts to 180k
without anything else needing replacing then I have no worries. Did you own
your hpIII from new, ie could the pick-up roller have been replaced before
you bought the printer, if not then maybe other factors have made my pick-up
roller wear out much faster than yours.

Old June 27th 03, 05:27 AM
Anonymous

I have had an HP LJ IIIp for many years. I recently replaced the
pickup rollers and retarder with parts from www.fixyourownprinter.com
found through a Google search. The rollers and retarder were about
$34.
They come with a vidio with installation instructions which was handy.

What I found out from this exercise was that I could fixed the pickup
problem without the new parts. The thing is that the pickup rollers
are plastic with rubber tires on them. Paper pickup problems start
when the cam-shaped rollers become glazed/worn on the cam lobes and
fail to grip the paper. What you can do is reorient the rubber tires
on the rollers so that a fresh rubber surface is on the cam lobes. I
renewed the retarder suface using a pencil eraser which is mildly
abrasive. I wound up saving the new parts for the next time when the
tires no longer have any fresh suface. The rollers/shaft is easily
removed by removing a couple of scews .

Best

wrote:

I have a HP laserjet III that has done 65000 pages total and now needs a
replacement pick-up roller and maybe separation pad. My question is what
other things am I likely to need to replace soon given the page count, if
other things are not expected to wear out anytime soon it will be worth
spending the money to replace the pick-up roller. The ozone filter probably
needs replacing but I think with home use I can probably do without it. I
print about 1000-2000 pages per year and have had the printer 7 years and
have not had any problems with it what so ever until now.

Old June 29th 03, 10:36 PM
Larry

Go for the Ozone filter for sure. If for no other reason than it's probably
clogged up with cat/dog/people hair and whatever

-Larry

Old June 30th 03, 02:50 PM
Lee Babcock

Larry wrote:

Go for the Ozone filter for sure. If for no other reason than it's probably
clogged up with cat/dog/people hair and whatever

-Larry

A better reason would be for your health!
Regards
Lee

Wireless Laserjet? PVR General 3 January 25th 05 04:07 PM
Opinions on this Belkin WPS with HP LaserJet 2300 asdf General 3 September 26th 04 05:33 AM
Opinions on this Belkin WPS with HP LaserJet 2300 asdf Homebuilt PC's 0 September 26th 04 03:44 AM
Perform printer maintenance message removal Vile General Hardware 2 December 12th 03 01:22 PM
HP Laserjet 1000/1200, low toner message??? Steve General Hardware 1 August 10th 03 08:41 PM