(OT) Your preferred photo editing program?

Old August 31st 03, 08:48 PM
JMooreTS

Default (OT) Your preferred photo editing program?

First, apologies for being mildly off-topic here, but I have a question which
scanner users will have (informed) opinions about.

I'd like to know the editing program you prefer.

I'm heading into doing doing scans of all my old negs, slides and prints. I've
used Microsoft's Picture It in the past for cropping and light editing of
digital snapshots. It is much too limited.

I used to do a fair amount of b/w darkroom and have a good understanding of the
principles. I am comfortable with computer programs (system is Windows XP).
I do not plan to do any graphics work.

I am currently trying out Picture Window Pro (like it). I'll try out a demo of
Photoshop next. But life is too short to try everything (Paint Shop Pro,Ulead,
etc. etc.). So, tell me what you like, please, and why.

Thanks in advance,

John Moore

Old August 31st 03, 09:29 PM
James Silverton

"JMooreTS" wrote in message
[...]

I have used Photoshop Elements for a while because it came with my scanner.
It seems to have most of the features and functionality that I would want in
the Full Photoshop. If you have to buy it, it's a lot less expensive too.
The tool and menu system is a bit tedious and contra-indicative to my way of
thinking but I have not seen any better.

I'll admit that I also use MS Photo Editor and sometimes the free and rather
good Irfanview when I am in a hurry.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old September 1st 03, 12:02 AM
AF

If life is too short, then stick with Picture Window Pro. The learning
curve is very easy compared to the others. It does have its limitations
(I would like something like the mask wand and layers) but it is
powerful and does a very nice job editing photos. The color correction
tool is a very nice feature. But the its strongest point, I feel, is the
ability to work with 48 bit files, no tools or menus grayed out.

JMooreTS wrote:

[...]

To reply, if 'nospam' is present in address, just remove it.

Old September 2nd 03, 07:10 AM
UrbanVoyeur

I use Photoshop 7, but I think for most uses you will be happy with
Photoshop Elements 2.0. it surprisingly capable and supports many Photoshop
plugin and techniques. Give it a test. Plus it a almost always on sale with
some kind of rebate.

If you out grow it after 6 months than move up to the full version.

www.urbanvoyeur.com

Old September 5th 03, 12:14 AM
Patate

Paint Shop Pro is beautiful. I have had the good fortune to work with most
programs mentioned; Photoshop is the gold standard, IrfanView is the every
day viewer and light duty soldier, and PSP is the all around workhorse.

--
Love,

news