My Vintage Dream PC

Old June 30th 09, 05:04 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.folklore.computers,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer
Archimedes' Lever

Default My Vintage Dream PC

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:29:31 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:49:56 -0400
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

The one in which I learned to use a cranking handle to start a
car in the '60s and in the '70s was still using the cranking handle to
turn the engine round when setting the rocker gaps.

You couldn't do that to the cars I owned back then. I had to use a
three foot breaker bar to turn the crankshaft on those old Pontiac V8
engines.

You take the plugs out to make it easy to turn when setting rocker
gaps.

Geese, who knew? And to think, I used to rebuild them as a hobby for
my '66 GTOs.

Yes, compression requires work.
Old June 30th 09, 05:16 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.folklore.computers,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer
Richard Cranium

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

The one in which I learned to use a cranking handle to start a
car in the '60s and in the '70s was still using the cranking handle to
turn the engine round when setting the rocker gaps.

You couldn't do that to the cars I owned back then. I had to use a
three foot breaker bar to turn the crankshaft on those old Pontiac V8
engines.

You take the plugs out to make it easy to turn when setting rocker
gaps.

Geese, who knew? And to think, I used to rebuild them as a hobby for
my '66 GTOs.

I had a '65 tri-power with a close ratio 4spd, Hurst shifter and 6cyl
Tempest brakes. Summer fun on the NJ Turnpike when brake fade checked
in.
Old June 30th 09, 06:00 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.folklore.computers,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

The one in which I learned to use a cranking handle to start a
car in the '60s and in the '70s was still using the cranking handle to
turn the engine round when setting the rocker gaps.

You couldn't do that to the cars I owned back then. I had to use a
three foot breaker bar to turn the crankshaft on those old Pontiac V8
engines.

You take the plugs out to make it easy to turn when setting rocker
gaps.

Geese, who knew? And to think, I used to rebuild them as a hobby for
my '66 GTOs.

Carter AFB, and a TurboHydromatic 400 transmission that I was told
would never fit under the body. I needed a custom machined 26" long
driveshaft to replace the original, and I left the original two speed
console shifter. I extended the shift youke in the console by 5/8", and
used the shorter shift arm off the two speed automatic. The 389 YS GTO
engine had over 220 pounds compression before the new rings seated, and
I had to use #1 welding cable for the battery cables so it would turn
over when the engine was warm.