FX5200 input?

Old November 25th 04, 02:06 PM
Andrew Kam

Default FX5200 input?

Hi all

Looking to record some of my old Hi-8 videos onto VCD. I've bought the VCD writer, and think I may have purchased the incorrect video card (FX5200) because I don't see any input plug for me to insert my cables into.

Anyone know whether I'm looking at the incorrect bit or whether I need to purchase a new Nvidia???

(The empty port shows S/P out)

--

Cheers!

Andrew Kam
Phone (24hrs): +65 98777625
MSN & Email:

Old November 26th 04, 06:00 AM
deimos

Andrew Kam wrote:
Hi all

Looking to record some of my old Hi-8 videos onto VCD. I've bought the
VCD writer, and think I may have purchased the incorrect video card
(FX5200) because I don't see any input plug for me to insert my cables into.

Anyone know whether I'm looking at the incorrect bit or whether I need
to purchase a new Nvidia???

(The empty port shows S/P out)

--

Cheers!

Andrew Kam
Phone (24hrs): +65 98777625
MSN & Email:

It has to be VIVO compatible, normally labeled as the Personal Cinema.
And if there's not a breakout box (as with the P.C.), then it's just a
dual way S-Video jack that uses a converter plug for composite input.

The breakout box usually supports RF, composite, S-Video, stereo RCA and
mini RCA audio in. For cards with just the S-Video jack, you'll need a
simple RCA-to-Mini(3.5mm) adapater from any a/v accessory store.

If you're really serious about video capture, you might consider a much
better capture solution. A 10-bit capture card (Hauppauge and several
others make them as well as HDTV capture) or an AV module is far better.

An AV converter plugs into your firewire port and does a lot of
automatic conversion of any source to DV format. Everything is then
stored natively in DV format (editing too), then you can frameserv or
output to a standard format (MPEG, AVI container).

http://www.hauppauge.com/Pages/products/data_hd.html
http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvwonder/index.html
http://www.canopus.us/US/products/AD...pm_advc-50.asp
http://www.adstech.com/products/API_...sp?pid=API-550

Firewire ports and PCI cards are as ubiquitous as NIC's are today, so
that isn't a major obstacle and transfer is very much faster than USB.
DV video is also something like 26mbits/s for NTSC D1, so it's visually
lossless while getting excellent compression compared to full frames.
Old November 26th 04, 05:10 PM
Andrew Kam

I do have it seems like a S-Video port. Are they dual way (i.e. input and
output)?

--

Cheers!

Andrew Kam
Phone (24hrs): +65 98777625
MSN & Email:

Old November 27th 04, 12:23 AM
deimos

Andrew Kam wrote:
I do have it seems like a S-Video port. Are they dual way (i.e. input and
output)?

Unless your card specifically says it has VIVO, then that's just a
TV-out S-Video jack. But the vast majority of cards usually have a
breakout box/extended cable for VIVO.
Old November 27th 04, 07:38 AM
Andrew Kam

Any idea what it is on a standard FX5200 video card? I bought mine about 5
months ago. Serves me well with Flight Simulator, but I now need to convert
from my video cam tapes to a VCD. Is there any "add-on" I can simply click
on to the S-Video port without selling away the FX5200 and buying a new one
with the feature?

--

Cheers!

Andrew Kam
Phone (24hrs): +65 98777625
MSN & Email:

Old November 29th 04, 09:36 PM
J. Clarke

Andrew Kam wrote:

does the FS5200 have an "add-on" for the "FS5200 Personal Cinema" box?

If your board has an s-video connector then it does not have video in. If
it has video in it will have a connector the same size but with a different
pinout that supports a breakout box.

There is no "add-on" for the 5200 boards-video-in needs hardware on the
board itself.

A video capture board that works as well as any personal cinema board can be
had for about $50US.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)