A7V & Promise Ultra 100 & WD 200GB HDD problem

Old July 23rd 04, 12:31 AM
-=Bones=-

Default A7V & Promise Ultra 100 & WD 200GB HDD problem

I recently replaced my 80GB hard drive with a 200GB WD drive. I upgraded my
A7V's bios from 1007 to 1011 and the Promise Ultra 100 controller will not
recognize more than 137GB of this drive. I'm running Windows XP Pro, and the
200 GB contains the OS on a 100GB partition. If I put the drive on the IDE
controller it sees the full size, but not on the Promise.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Mike

Old July 23rd 04, 10:15 AM
Paul

In article , "-=Bones=-"
wrote:

I recently replaced my 80GB hard drive with a 200GB WD drive. I upgraded my
A7V's bios from 1007 to 1011 and the Promise Ultra 100 controller will not
recognize more than 137GB of this drive. I'm running Windows XP Pro, and the
200 GB contains the OS on a 100GB partition. If I put the drive on the IDE
controller it sees the full size, but not on the Promise.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Mike

[ Before reading any further, normally you would go to the Promise
website and get a controller BIOS and OS driver that matched. But
that is what you do when you buy a Promise PCI card. This is an OEM
PCI chip on a motherboard, so support is supposed to come from Asus.
Judging by the ages of the files on the download page for the A7V,
your answer won't be found there. The rest of this post, plays the
game of "correlation", or what parts you might cobble together
to solve the problem... ]

While the following posting concerning Linux, it suggests the hardware
can be made to do it.

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...ted-at.bofh.it

Perhaps you need to find a later driver for the 20265. (My assumption
is that is the chip on your board - PDC20265.)

There is a driver here. When unzipped, a file named "Ultra" can be
found, implying this driver is a non-RAID ATA100 driver (U1xx_v200_b39.zip)
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/asuscom/TRE...MISE/PDC20265/

The trick with Promise, is mapping the OEM chips placed on motherboards,
to the controller cards that Promise sells. This is because Promise
won't support OEM chips directly, and only supports Promise retail
products, like a Fasttrak RAID or an Ultra 100 TX2 IDE card.

Notice in these examples, how there is a note mentioning where a certain
version of controller BIOS gives 48 bit addressing with a certain
version of OS driver.

Fastrak 100 TX2 download page
http://www.promise.com/support/downl...river&os=1 00

Ultra 100 TX2 download page
http://www.promise.com/support/downl...ory=All&os=100

Now, to get the controller BIOS, that is bundled in the flash BIOS
chip for your motherboard. When the controller BIOS code is running
during motherboard post, you will presumably see a release number,
and that release info is what you would have to work with, to determine
whether 48 bit support is there or not.

I would take the U1xx_v200_b39.zip from ftp.asuscom.de and use it
either with your A7V 1011 BIOS, or flash up to the beta 1012.01 .
With my trusty hex editor, 1011 BIOS has U100b43 controller BIOS in it,
and 1012 has U100b48 controller BIOS. This implies the Asus beta BIOS
has a different version of controller BIOS than 1011 does.

Using the U100b43 string, and searching in Google, dug up this:

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...ing.google.com

That thread refers to Maxtor and the ATA100 card they used to ship.
It has a Promise chip on it as well. If you go through the
Support/Download section of the Maxtor site, they have a build43 BIOS,
and the text on that page says build43 supports 48 bit LBA. So, I don't
think you need to flash up your BIOS - changing to a later ATA100 driver
should fix it. (Note: This example from the Maxtor page, is for a flasher
to flash the BIOS chip on a PCI controller card. In the Asus case, this
code is stored in the BIOS flash chip, and the code cannot be upgraded
by the user in the exact same way. To change the controller BIOS, you
flash a different motherboard BIOS file, to get a different version
of code.)

From the Maxtor page (no link, due to crappy URL)

"Accessories
Software Downloads

Download Ultra ATA 100 PCI Adapter Card BIOS Flash
* File Name: u100b43.exe
* File Download Size: 62 KB
* File Version: 2.01.0.43
* Revision Date: 07/01/02
* Compatible Operating Systems: DOS,Windows 2000,Windows 95A,
Windows 95B,Windows 98,Windows Me,Windows NT,Windows XP Home
Edition,Windows XP Professional

This BIOS flash version 2.01.0 (Build 43) replaces, BIOS version
2.01.0 (Build 27) and allows support for drives larger than
137 Gigabytes, on Ultra ATA 100 PCI Adapter Cards only. - This
BIOS update is recommended only when connecting drives larger
than 137 Gigabytes to an Ultra ATA /100 PCI Adapter Card. - BIOS
version 2.01.0 (Build 43) does not offer any performance increase
over BIOS version 2.01.0 (Build 27) - Version 2.01.0 (Build 43)
requires supporting 48-Bit driver version 2.0.0050.42 that can
be downloaded here. This is an advanced utility and its use is
recommended for advanced users only.

So, now the question is, we know BIOS 1011 and build43 is a good
enough controller BIOS. But, is the U1xx_v200_b39.zip from asuscom.de
good enough to give you 48 bit operation ?

Back to the Promise site, this time I found the Ultra100 page:

http://www.promise.com/support/downl...ory=All&os=100

Version 2.00.0.39 driver - Description - Supports 48-bit LBA for
drives larger than 137 GB - Fixes problem with Windows 2000
Service Pack 3

But the controller BIOS listed on the Ultra100 page doesn't match
the naming convention (as in 2.01.0.43) above. So, all I can say is,
the Asus U1xx_v200_b39.zip file is 48 bit ready, and the u100b43
controller BIOS is 48 bit ready, but I cannot be 100% certain they
are made for one another, unless I see them listed on the same web
page.

If your 200GB drive is backed up, try the U1xx_v200_b39.zip file
with your current BIOS. Because the "Ultra" file is in the zip
directory, that tells me it is intended for vanilla IDE. While
doing this kind of experiment, you should have that drive backed
up anyway.

Even if this doesn't help, I hope you've been entertained :-)

Also note - I'm assuming you've done all the right things from the
OS perspective, and this drive was ready to go on a 48 bit capable
motherboard. If you don't have the right service pack and the
right registry setting, that can botch it as well. And any operation
like this should always be done with a backup in place...

Another place to look is a7vtroubleshooting forums, but I didn't
get any hits when I used their forum search engine, and I can only
assume it doesn't work. This question has to have been asked before.

Paul
Old July 24th 04, 03:15 AM
-=Bones=-

Paul,
Thank you very much for all the effort you put in to helping me resolve this
problem. I tried the U1xx_v200_b39.zip like you suggested and it seems to
have solved the problem! The Promise bios detects the drive on boot-up as
186GB (which it did before) but now Windows also shows ( I think) the full
size whereas before it only would show 137GB worth of disk. Is 186 GB the
correct amount that it should display? If it is, I am very happy. If it's
not, well...it's still better than 137GB and I'll settle for 186.
Once gain, thank you for all the legwork you did ....it was a pretty
impressive bit of research you did, and it was much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
"Paul" wrote in message
In article , "-=Bones=-"
wrote:

[...]

http://www.promise.com/support/downl...uctId=8&catego
ry=driver&os=100

Ultra 100 TX2 download page

http://www.promise.com/support/downl...uctId=11&categ

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...5ab5%40post i
ng.google.com

That thread refers to Maxtor and the ATA100 card they used to ship.
It has a Promise chip on it as well. If you go through the
Support/Download section of the Maxtor site, they have a build43 BIOS,
and the text on that page says build43 supports 48 bit LBA. So, I don't
think you need to flash up your BIOS - changing to a later ATA100 driver
should fix it. (Note: This example from the Maxtor page, is for a flasher
to flash the BIOS chip on a PCI controller card. In the Asus case, this
code is stored in the BIOS flash chip, and the code cannot be upgraded
by the user in the exact same way. To change the controller BIOS, you
flash a different motherboard BIOS file, to get a different version
of code.)

From the Maxtor page (no link, due to crappy URL)

[...]

http://www.promise.com/support/downl...uctId=18&categ
ory=All&os=100

Old July 25th 04, 01:13 AM
tomcas

-=Bones=- wrote:
Paul,
Thank you very much for all the effort you put in to helping me resolve this
problem. I tried the U1xx_v200_b39.zip like you suggested and it seems to
have solved the problem! The Promise bios detects the drive on boot-up as
186GB (which it did before) but now Windows also shows ( I think) the full
size whereas before it only would show 137GB worth of disk. Is 186 GB the
correct amount that it should display? If it is, I am very happy. If it's
not, well...it's still better than 137GB and I'll settle for 186.
Once gain, thank you for all the legwork you did ....it was a pretty
impressive bit of research you did, and it was much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
"Paul" wrote in message

In article , "-=Bones=-"
wrote:

[...]

From the Maxtor page (no link, due to crappy URL)

[...]

Did you do the registry fix?
http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1
Old July 25th 04, 01:29 AM
-=Bones=-

Yes I did. Sorry I forgot to mention that I had already gone through those
steps. Thanks for the heads up though.
Mike

"tomcas" wrote in message
t...
-=Bones=- wrote:
[...]

"Paul" wrote in message

In article , "-=Bones=-"
wrote:

[...]

From the Maxtor page (no link, due to crappy URL)

[...]

http://support.microsoft.com/default...microsoft.com:
80/support/kb/articles/q305/0/98.asp&NoWebContent=1

Old July 25th 04, 02:07 AM
Norm

Try here..they helped me allot when my A7V v1 was my primary computer. Still
run great with a 1.2 Tbird

http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/fo...n/yabb/YaBB.pl