Hazards of hard disk internals in the house

Old March 15th 06, 11:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Hazards of hard disk internals in the house

I took apart an old 120MB disk drive to get the magnet.

I rather like the platters and want to keep them in my house. Maybe
to use as coffee mug mats or something like that.

But I don't want to rest my sandwiches on a platter while having a
coffee and then find that the platters have some toxic coating or can
be a hazard!

Can anyone tell me.

Also, I guess the magnet is made of a special alloy using rare
metals. Could it too be toxic or hazardous?
Old March 15th 06, 11:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

All metal dust is hazardous .. every single bit of it.
All of it is electrically and chemically ( same thing )
active.

johns

Old March 16th 06, 12:16 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Warra wrote

I took apart an old 120MB disk drive to get the magnet.

I rather like the platters and want to keep them in my house.
Maybe to use as coffee mug mats or something like that.

I've reported you to the RSPCPPHDBTF, you'll be soorree...

But I don't want to rest my sandwiches on a platter
while having a coffee and then find that the platters
have some toxic coating or can be a hazard!

Why not ?

Can anyone tell me.

Most are fine, not all tho.

Also, I guess the magnet is made of a special alloy
using rare metals. Could it too be toxic or hazardous?

Nope, its fine.

Old March 16th 06, 12:17 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

johns wrote

All metal dust is hazardous .. every single bit of it.

Mindless pig ignorant silly stuff.

Old March 16th 06, 12:18 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:24:27 GMT, Warra
wrote:

I took apart an old 120MB disk drive to get the magnet.

I rather like the platters and want to keep them in my house. Maybe
to use as coffee mug mats or something like that.

Being that they're no-absorbant, thin metal (which conducts
reasonably well), and have a hole in the middle, it would
seem they are ill-suited towards being coffee mug mats.
Perhaps wind chimes or ???

But I don't want to rest my sandwiches on a platter while having a
coffee and then find that the platters have some toxic coating or can
be a hazard!

Have you actually taken the platters out and looked at them?
Not exactly suitable for a sandwich/snack tray.

Since they are not meant for contact with food, the easy
answer is just don't do it. They're "probably" safe if you
washed them off good but I'd not bet on it.

Can anyone tell me.

Also, I guess the magnet is made of a special alloy using rare
metals. Could it too be toxic or hazardous?

They are almost always nickel-plated neodymium, their
greatest hazzard is violently attaching to something and
scratching it, or a strong magnetic field wiping out a
floppy disc, possibly damaging a watch mechanism... I've
never tried to trash a watch with one though. Their
toxicity should be low but if these things are really a
concern to you, perhaps keeping food on real plates wouldn't
be such a bad idea.

Old March 16th 06, 12:51 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Warra" wrote in message
I took apart an old 120MB disk drive to get the magnet.

I rather like the platters and want to keep them in my house. Maybe
to use as coffee mug mats or something like that.

I used to like the Platters as well, shame they don't make music any more.

SteveH

Old March 16th 06, 01:45 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Warra wrote:

Also, I guess the magnet is made of a special alloy using rare
metals. Could it too be toxic or hazardous?

No. But just be cautious about using foods with a high iron content...

Odie
Old March 16th 06, 03:46 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Warra wrote:
I took apart an old 120MB disk drive to get the magnet.

I rather like the platters and want to keep them in my house. Maybe
to use as coffee mug mats or something like that.

But I don't want to rest my sandwiches on a platter while having a
coffee and then find that the platters have some toxic coating or can
be a hazard!

Can anyone tell me.

It's probably safe as it's simply a magnetic coating on the disk, but
that shiny surface won't stay shiny for long. Those fingerprints of
yours will be there forever making it look dirty. You could spray the
disk with a clear coating, but is it really worth the effort?

Also, I guess the magnet is made of a special alloy using rare
metals. Could it too be toxic or hazardous?

The hard drive magnets are great fun. I use them for all sorts of
applications. Here's a little shamelessly ripped info:

However, caution must be taken when using neodymium magnets. Even a
small neodymium magnet is powerful enough to destroy the contents of a
floppy disc to such an extent that the information is unrecoverable, a
guarantee not present with techniques such as formatting the disk.
NdFeB magnets are often strong enough to not only magnetize color CRT
shadow masks, but also physically deform the mask itself. Such damage
is typically irreparable by degaussing.

Neodymium magnets should always be handled carefully. Some of the
neodymium magnets that are slightly larger than the size of a penny are
powerful enough to lift over 10 kilograms [1]. They are hazardous,
being able to pinch skin or fingers when suddenly attracted to a
magnetic object. Because they are made with special powders and
coatings, the magnets are very fragile and break at temperatures over
150 °C, or if allowed to smash together. When they break, the magnets
may break so suddenly that flying pieces may cause eye injury.
Neodymium magnets should also be stored away from electrical
appliances, magnetic (bank) cards and computer monitors, as damage may
be irreparable.

Neodymium metal dust is a combustion and explosion hazard.

Neodymium compounds, like all rare earth metals, are of low to moderate
toxicity; however its toxicity has not been thoroughly investigated.
Neodymium dust and salts are very irritating to the eyes and mucous
membranes, and moderately irritating to skin. Breathing the dust can
cause lung embolisms, and accumulated exposure damages the liver.
Neodymium also acts as an anticoagulant, especially when given
intravenously. {So if you were thinking of shooting it up, don't.}

Old March 16th 06, 03:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Warra" wrote...
I took apart an old 120MB disk drive to get the magnet.

I rather like the platters and want to keep them in my house. Maybe
to use as coffee mug mats or something like that.

But I don't want to rest my sandwiches on a platter while having a
coffee and then find that the platters have some toxic coating or can
be a hazard!

Can anyone tell me.

The platters are very thin & brittle glass. When they shatter the shards
are deadly sharp!

Old March 16th 06, 04:43 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

John Weiss wrote
Warra wrote...

I took apart an old 120MB disk drive to get the magnet.

I rather like the platters and want to keep them in my house. Maybe to
use as coffee mug mats or something like that.

But I don't want to rest my sandwiches on a platter while having a
coffee and then find that the platters have some toxic coating or can be
a hazard!

Can anyone tell me.

The platters are very thin & brittle glass.

Some are, plenty arent.

When they shatter the shards are deadly sharp!

Pig ignorant drivel.