ARGOSY - HD363N - Network Storage

Old August 26th 05, 11:32 PM
Maximus1234

Hi Guys!

Thank you all for a very informative thread (espacially fixuser)! I
bought my HD636N today and have read your thread here and I have
learnt a lot. Now I have two questions.

1. My device seem to have firmware version NetHDD005-0601, is this a
new version? On Argosy's website the download says NetHDD004-0317,
have they forgotten to update the download?

2. Where do I get the Beta fw? The link posted here doesn't work any
more.

/M

Old August 26th 05, 11:32 PM
winux

Maximus:

Depending on which brand you have (Argosy or Tritton) depends on the
firmware you can get. Argosy seems slow, and Tritton seems fast. I
couldn't get the link to work either, so maybe they took it down or
moved it.

Old August 27th 05, 09:32 AM
Maximus1234

I saw somewhere here in the thread that the fan didn't wind down and
stop when the drive went to sleep, I just wanted to tell you that
mine does.

/M
(The man who still can't find the Beta fw)

Old August 30th 05, 04:31 AM
microchip

The Tritton beta is no longer available on their site(the link posted
by fixuser), but the downloads page still has the old firmware. Does
anybody know if they're releasing an update? I am definitely having
the wireless issues. Works fine wired, wireless I get disconnects to
the NAS but nothing else.

MC

Old August 30th 05, 09:32 PM
tommie

I found this at Argosy:
http://www.argosyusa.net/driver/Argo...DD006-0804.zip
The version number is similar to the Tritton beta.

Old August 30th 05, 10:32 PM
Maximus1234

There is no adding of years with my fw, but the truncating of seconds
still remain. I transfered a file stamped 1991-06-05 18:55:56 and it
ended up with the stamp 1991-06-05 18:55:00.

I tried a couple of other files as well with the same result.

I am curious about the new fw that popped up here, the
Argosy-NetHDD006-0804. Has anyone tried it?

Old August 31st 05, 02:35 AM
microchip

tommiewrote:
I found this at Argosy:
http://www.argosyusa.net/driver/Argo...DD006-0804.zip
The version number is similar to the Tritton beta.

Does upgrading to this firmware require you to reformat the drive like
some of the older firmwares?

Old August 31st 05, 10:31 AM
dilettante

Finally got my hands on a couple of the Argosy units recently, and I
think I'm beginning to see where some of the limitations come into
play.

SNAS05-0607 (Tritton) is the most recent firmware I've tried so far.

Simple file copying hasn't been bad, as long as there aren't multiple
sessions (simultaneous operations) going - even between the NAS box
and a single client PC. Things can crawl with two or more going
though.

Where performance really falls down seems to be random operations and
rapid short file creation/deletion. I haven't tried PST files yet,
but Jet ("Access") databases can really crawl, especially on query
operations against even a small database.

I haven't experienced data corruption, just some really sad
performance. Some of this can be moderated by keeping database
connections open throughout a session instead of using the generally
more scalable and reliable open-act-close technique. Some
significant performance (responsiveness) penalty is expected with the
latter technique of course... but this is ridiculous.

I attribute most of this to the tiny (or no) disk cache in the NAS box
along with an SMB implementation no better (or worse?) than SAMBA
offers. Basically these devices have to be viewed as "tape drives."

I'd thought people viewing these things as backup devices to be a bit
unsophisticated. The truth seems to be that this may be the only
real target application for these machines.

For comparison I took an old computer here that has a Celeron 400 and
128MB of RAM, and installed and patched up (as much as I can at this
point, support being what it is) Windows 95 OSR 2.1 as a dumb file
server of the type these units represent - share level passwords. I
stripped out (avoided installing) any protocols but TCP/IP and
Windows file/print sharing, and did a few disk cache tweaks but
nothing out of the ordinary.

To really be fair I probably ought to be using a 486 with 16 MB or
something... but realistically that's a doorstop today. Almost
nobody would bother running one, and a machine of the specs I'm
testing is a nearly free item today as a used computer goes.

Needless to say, the Win95 box runs rings around the Argosy/Tritton
box. None of the headaches with Jet either. Response is smooth and
fast, even with NetMeeting RDS running (as a remote-admin tool). It
would be trivial to connect a parallel printer and/or a couple of USB
printers, put in 3 hard drives and an optical drive, etc.

This is an old slimline Dell Optiplex, and runs cool and quiet -
though it is obviously more bulky than these tiny NAS devices.
Windows 95 or 98 are a bit pricier than a Linux/SMB combo for the
same hardware - but with none of the headaches or quirks.

I really wanted these things to work. I had high hopes. Right now I
am having my doubts though. I'll give that beta firmware a shot but
I suspect the real limitation is the hardware (RAM) available and the
resulting lack of disk cache.

Old August 31st 05, 10:31 AM
dilettante

Trying the Argosy 06-0804 firmware now.

Still a little sluggish, but much better than prior firmware levels,
even using a lot of Jet I/O. Significantly improved usability.

I have to say they are doing something right now. I'll watch for file
corruption.

By the way, multiple simultaneous activities seem to operate more
smoothly as well (i.e. playing an MP3 from the NAS while performing
Jet operations on an MDB).

Old August 31st 05, 03:35 PM
mdp1969

hI, I am trying to use a program called Allways Sync to keep
directories in Sync, its free and it works great! However, I bought
this thing and with the tritton 607 firmware it could never sync,
with the beta firmware, I now get these errors when trying to copy
files..... any ideas....

thanks

mattp

8/31/2005 11:38 PM, API call error, Network access is denied.
(80070041), Error when copying 'E:\libby\My Music\Sample Music.lnk'
to '\\Homenas\libsbackup\My Music\Sample Music.lnk' using
intermediate
'\\Homenas\libsbackup\_sync.app\temp\4016993C70D38 F3D73941A6F89C74A8D.tmp'