hardware questions

Old November 30th 03, 12:56 AM
Girgath

Default hardware questions

I want to buy parts and make my own computer. I have 3 questions a) can
anyone tell me how to find out what hardware conflicts with other hardware
and why, b) is there anything I have to know other than jumper setting and
the basics? c) is there a website or some other media that may be able to
help me?

Old November 30th 03, 02:49 AM
Shep©

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:56:47 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Girgath"
wrote :

I want to buy parts and make my own computer. I have 3 questions a) can
anyone tell me how to find out what hardware conflicts with other hardware
and why, b) is there anything I have to know other than jumper setting and
the basics? c) is there a website or some other media that may be able to
help me?

Use this UK site to pick what you want,
http://www.cclcomputers.biz/acatalog...e_Systems.html
Then source it in the USA.Their choices of hardware are second to
none.
I've built over 30 systems using their choice of hardware and not one
single problem or return.
My 0.2

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old November 30th 03, 03:14 AM
Girgath

Thanks, I'll have a look... but being in canada may make the shipping
charges rather high...

Old November 30th 03, 05:40 AM
Lane Lewis

"Girgath" wrote in message
I want to buy parts and make my own computer. I have 3 questions a) can
anyone tell me how to find out what hardware conflicts with other hardware
and why, b) is there anything I have to know other than jumper setting and
the basics? c) is there a website or some other media that may be able to
help me?

Just post your best guess and we'll help you out.

Lane

Old November 30th 03, 08:07 AM
TinMan

Big reccomendation for newbies... In order to minimize the chances of
resource conflicts pick a motherboard with most of your required features
integrated; for example LAN, graphics, USB, audio,etc... Another
reccomendation is to use an Intel CPU with an Intel chipset based
motherboard (865G or 845G); Intel has very solid drivers for their chipsets
and run very rigorous Windows and hardware compatibility tests.

Regards,
Francis

Old November 30th 03, 10:33 AM
philo

"Girgath" wrote in message
I want to buy parts and make my own computer. I have 3 questions a) can
anyone tell me how to find out what hardware conflicts with other hardware
and why, b) is there anything I have to know other than jumper setting and
the basics? c) is there a website or some other media that may be able to
help me?

Since this will be your first "build" you may want to consider a "bare
bones" kit. You will still get experiance building a machine...but at least
you can be assured of getting parts that are compatible.

Old November 30th 03, 12:14 PM
Shep©

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 02:14:26 GMT, My brain dual boots Concious and
Subconcious but I never had a choice but then "Girgath"
wrote :

Thanks, I'll have a look... but being in canada may make the shipping
charges rather high...

Just source the same gear in your country

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old November 30th 03, 04:26 PM
kony

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 03:33:42 -0600, "philo" wrote:

"Girgath" wrote in message
I want to buy parts and make my own computer. I have 3 questions a) can
anyone tell me how to find out what hardware conflicts with other hardware
and why, b) is there anything I have to know other than jumper setting and
the basics? c) is there a website or some other media that may be able to
help me?

Since this will be your first "build" you may want to consider a "bare
bones" kit. You will still get experiance building a machine...but at least
you can be assured of getting parts that are compatible.

.... or getting parts that are the lowest of the low-end junk,
depending on where that bare-bones is bought, exactly what's in it.

Dave
Old December 1st 03, 06:02 AM
Girgath

My question was how do you know which hardware conflicts,, not can you tell
me if I have 2 that I want to pick... there must be some way of knowing?

Old December 1st 03, 01:13 PM
philo

... or getting parts that are the lowest of the low-end junk,
depending on where that bare-bones is bought, exactly what's in it.

Dave

*very* good advice...be especially cautious of "generic" RAM etc...
the few dollars you "save" will be wasted!