Q: Will this PC config work?

Old April 28th 04, 01:19 PM
peter wenker

Default Q: Will this PC config work?

Greetings,

I'm putting a system together; this is my first try. I'd appreciate
feedback on the configuration I've put together.

Mostly I want to know if I've included any component that's
incompatible with another component. Here goes:

CASE:
Antec SX1040BII Performance II 400-watt ATX Tower Case
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...029&pfp=BROWSE

MOTHERBOARD:
FIC AU13 nForce2-ST Bus Speed: 333 MHz 8X AGP

PROCESSOR:
Athlon XP2500+, 1.83GHz, 333MHz Bus, Socket A Processor AMD
AXDA2500BOX (retail version, should have a heatsink already installed
I think?)

MEMORY:
Crucial Technology 512MB PC2700 184pin DDR DIMM Memory Module
CT6464Z335

MONITOR:
Samsung SyncMaster 955df 19-inch (18.0 vis) Monitor, Black/Silver

VIDEO CARD:
GIGABYTE ATI RADEON 9200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out,
8X AGP, Model GV-R92128DH

HARD DRIVE:
Seagate 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model ST3120026A, 8MB cache

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a

....I'm not worried about the rest of the list: floppy drive, CDROM,
keyboard, mouse etc.

Mostly I just want to know if these parts will work together. After
that system stability is my main concern. I've tried to put together
a modestly-priced package that will last and is
upgradeable/expandable. A friend helped me put a system together 3+
years ago and it's been very solid; I'm trying to duplicate the feat
:-)

Any help is much appreciated.
Old April 28th 04, 07:01 PM
Patrick

peter wenker wrote:
[...]

Looks OK, but, you do know that IRQ conflicts are STILL the bane of new
installs!

I always run Knoppix live CDrom first off, as it reports all problems...

Old April 28th 04, 07:06 PM
Clint

When's the last time you've had IRQ conflicts using a modern operating
system and PCI hardware? Personally, I can't remember having one since
upgrading from Windows 95.

Clint

"Patrick" wrote in message
. com...

Old April 28th 04, 07:08 PM
Clint

BTW, my response to you was not intended as a slam or anything. It was a
legitimate question.

Clint

"Patrick" wrote in message
. com...

Old April 28th 04, 07:21 PM
Lenroc

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:01:04 +0000, Patrick wrote:

you do know that IRQ conflicts are STILL the bane of new installs!

No, I didn't know that. I've not had to even consider IRQs at all on my
most recent 3 Windoze systems.

Admittedly, I did have to think about IRQs once before... that was when I
added a standalone CD-ROM drive to my Packard Bell Legend 386sx...

--
Lenroc
Old April 29th 04, 12:28 AM
David B.

When's the last time you built a PC? IRQ conflicts are few and far between with new systems.

Old April 29th 04, 03:15 AM
peter wenker

Thanks. Actually I decided to go up to the 2800+ since it's supported
by the mobo and it's not much more expensive.

For the fan I think I'll go with Thermalright "SLK900A" Copper
Heatsink for AMD. I'm a little worried about it being noisy but I'm a
believer in a nice cool CPU. Is that overdoing it? I know it's a bit
odd but I think of a PC as a 10-year investment, so I want to do
what's reasonable to ease the stress on the critical components (CPU,
mobo, memory).
Old April 29th 04, 08:36 AM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 05:19:55 -0700, peter wenker wrote:

Greetings,

I'm putting a system together; this is my first try. I'd appreciate
feedback on the configuration I've put together.

Mostly I want to know if I've included any component that's
incompatible with another component. Here goes:

CASE:
Antec SX1040BII Performance II 400-watt ATX Tower Case
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...029&pfp=BROWSE

MOTHERBOARD:
FIC AU13 nForce2-ST Bus Speed: 333 MHz 8X AGP

If this board doesn't officially support a 200MHz FSB (400FSB), don't get
it.

PROCESSOR:
Athlon XP2500+, 1.83GHz, 333MHz Bus, Socket A Processor AMD AXDA2500BOX
(retail version, should have a heatsink already installed I think?)

Don't rely on the retail cooler to work real well. Would be better off
with an OEM cpu and seperate cooler. TR2-M1 ($8) will work much better and
quieter.

MEMORY:
Crucial Technology 512MB PC2700 184pin DDR DIMM Memory Module CT6464Z335

No way. PC3200 bare minimum, but I'd get something faster like PC3700.

MONITOR:
Samsung SyncMaster 955df 19-inch (18.0 vis) Monitor, Black/Silver

VIDEO CARD:
GIGABYTE ATI RADEON 9200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X
AGP, Model GV-R92128DH

HARD DRIVE:
Seagate 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model ST3120026A, 8MB cache

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a

Do you need it? Linux is better and cheaper (as in free).

Old April 29th 04, 08:40 AM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:15:02 -0700, peter wenker wrote:

Thanks. Actually I decided to go up to the 2800+ since it's supported
by the mobo and it's not much more expensive.

For the fan I think I'll go with Thermalright "SLK900A" Copper
Heatsink for AMD. I'm a little worried about it being noisy but I'm a
believer in a nice cool CPU. Is that overdoing it? I know it's a bit
odd but I think of a PC as a 10-year investment, so I want to do
what's reasonable to ease the stress on the critical components (CPU,
mobo, memory).

It's a lot of overkill unless you plan on major overclocking. You'll
probably send over $50 for it while an $8 TR2-M1 would do the job nicely,
even overclocked.

Old April 29th 04, 09:55 PM
peter wenker

....It's a lot of overkill unless you plan on major overclocking.
You'll
probably send over $50 for it while an $8 TR2-M1 would do the job
nicely,
even overclocked.

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll probably go that route.

Now I've learned that instead of getting one stick of 512MB I have to
worry about taking advantage of the Dual Channel.

I read up on it a little bit, and one thing is still not clear: why do
they keep referring to it as "400FSB dual channel"? Does that mean
you can only use it with 400FSB clock speeds?

I'll be with a 333FSB. Can I utilize Dual Channel?