Safe to format 4TB to NTFS

Old October 16th 16, 10:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jim[_38_]

Default Safe to format 4TB to NTFS

I have used EaseUS Partition Master 11.9 to format my WD Green to the
NTFS format, is this safe to do (safe as in drive not breaking down, and
losing data) or should i format to the GPT format?

Jim
Old October 16th 16, 11:42 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Jim wrote:

I have used EaseUS Partition Master 11.9 to format my WD Green to the
NTFS format, is this safe to do (safe as in drive not breaking down, and
losing data) or should i format to the GPT format?

Jim

There is no GPT *file* format. If you want to use a partition then
decide on what *file system* you want inside of it, like NTFS. GPT is
the *partitioning scheme*.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
Old October 17th 16, 12:57 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jim[_38_]

On 16/10/2016 23:42, VanguardLH wrote:
Jim wrote:

I have used EaseUS Partition Master 11.9 to format my WD Green to the
NTFS format, is this safe to do (safe as in drive not breaking down, and
losing data) or should i format to the GPT format?

Jim

There is no GPT *file* format. If you want to use a partition then
decide on what *file system* you want inside of it, like NTFS. GPT is
the *partitioning scheme*.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

In that case how does it fit when wiki says "Because partition tables on
master boot record (MBR) disks support only partition sizes up to 2 TB,
dynamic or GPT volumes must be used to create NTFS volumes over 2 TB"
My boot drives are small ssd's running mbr and these bigger 4TB drives
are only for media storage or have i got the wrong end of the stick (not
unusual i know)

Jim
Old October 17th 16, 01:19 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jim[_38_]

Jim wrote:

[...]

Now i'm confused (

According to EaseUS it's saying
"File System is NTFS"
"Disk Type is GPT"

So am i right in thinking then that anything BELOW 2TB will be
FAT32/NTFS/ExFAT etc that being the "File System" and anything above 2TB
CAN be formatted to NTFS as well but will be GPT because it's over 2 TB?
Old October 17th 16, 01:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Jim wrote:

[...]

Under MBA, the partition table has 4 partition records. Each partition
record is 16 bytes long, or 128 bits long. No, you don't get to address
2^128 - 1 sectors (of 512 bytes each). Some of those bytes are for
purposes other than addressing. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record#PTE

Your HDD can have a total capacity far exceeding what is addressable by
the MBR. When you access a file in the file system (e.g., NTFS), it
still must get translated to a sector on the HDD. So you hit the
limitation of partition size by the MBR's partition records before you
hit the max file system's file size. NTFS has a theoretically maximum
file (not partition) size of 16 exabytes you can't find an HDD/SDD
anywhere near that size plus Windows itself places limites on volumes.
It looks like you don't know what are dynamic volumes or the difference
between BIOS and UEFI as the firmware in the mobo.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
(Those are max file sizes by the file system, not max partition sizes.)

I'm pretty sure that if you use Easeus Partition Master to create a
partition larger than 2 TB that it will automatically attempt to create
it as a GPT partition - and that is BEFORE it even starts the format of
the partition to lay down a file system. You have to create the
partition BEFORE you can lay down a file system inside of it. However,
going beyond 2TB for partition size depends on your hardware's firmware.
BIOS only supports MBR. UEFI allows the allocation of GPT partitions.
If you want GPT partitions, your computer must use UEFI, not the old MBR
BIOS. That is, if you want to leave MBR and use GPT then you need to
leave BIOS and have EFI-compliant hardware. You can create GPT
partitions under UEFI. You cannot create GPT partitions with MBR BIOS.

You never identified the make and model of the motherboard for anyone
else to know if it only supports the old BIOS model or the newer UEFI
model. For GPT partitions, you'll need your mobo hardware to support
UEFI. GPT = GUID Partition Table, and GUIDs are definable only in UEFI.
GPT is part of the UEFI specification.
Old October 17th 16, 03:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jim[_38_]

Jim wrote:

[...]

My motherboard is an Asus Z87 Deluxe
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87DELUXE/
which if i remember rightly can run the newer UEFI BIOS.
I clearly need to do more reading on this one to understand things, sure
i can get it too work easly enough but i'd like to know more about it so
good few hours ahead reading for me, of to bed now as it's 3.30am local
(London) time

Jim
Old October 17th 16, 04:13 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Edward Diener

On 10/16/2016 5:14 PM, Jim wrote:
I have used EaseUS Partition Master 11.9 to format my WD Green to the
NTFS format, is this safe to do (safe as in drive not breaking down, and
losing data) or should i format to the GPT format?

Jim

GPT and MBR are disk partitioning systems. NTFS is a partition type. You
can have an NTFS partition type on either a GPT or MBR disk.

GPT is the preferred disk partitioning system since it does not have the
limitations of a lesser number of partitions that MBR has, nor does it
have the limitations of the lesser partition sizes that MBR has. Some
boot systems ( BIOSs and/or boot managers ) and operating systems have
limitations as to booting to a partition on a GPT drive. In general
nearly all modern OSs and modern computers can boot from GPT drives but
some older OSs and/or computers may not be able to do so.
Old October 17th 16, 04:55 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 10/16/2016 5:14 PM, Jim wrote:
I have used EaseUS Partition Master 11.9 to format my WD Green to the
NTFS format, is this safe to do (safe as in drive not breaking down, and
losing data) or should i format to the GPT format?

The partitioning scheme is either GPT or MBR. The filesystem format is
anything you want, that can work over 4TB, of which NTFS is one of the
valid choices. I think another valid choice would be ExFAT, and any of
the Linux filesystems too (at least under Windows 10 Anniversary Update).

Yousuf Khan

Old October 17th 16, 06:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Jim wrote:

[...]

That URL says that mobo supports UEFI. So you must have partitioned the
disk using the older MBR scheme, like in an older computer and then
migrated the disk to the Asus mobo setup. UEFI includes the old MBR
scheme for backwards compatibility.

I've never researched the consequences of using MBR with its partition
table with maximum of 4 partition records and 2TB limits to convert to a
UEFI record for a GPT partition. The Easeus utility might have a
conversion to go from MBR to GPT.

Change a Master Boot Record Disk into a GUID Partition Table Disk
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.11).aspx

Free Convert MBR to GPT Without Data Loss
http://www.easeus.com/partition-mana...data-loss.html
(says their Partition Master can do it)

Obviously you should save partition backup images before committing this
major surgery on the structure of the partition(s).