Current state of SSD's

Old May 29th 15, 12:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Dave Doe

Default Current state of SSD's

In article , NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com, micky says...

Current state of SSD's

My niece thinks she needs a new laptop. Hers' is all of 4 years old and
she imagines its running slowly. (Or it is but could be fiixed.)

She wasts a solid state drive. Last I heard, you could only write to
them so many times before they started forgetting what they knew.

Are they still unreliable in this or some other way?

You will not believe the difference in performance. You really won't.

Reliability wise, they're on a par with IDE's - they state their MTBF
hours.

Their biggest drawback is size - the best value for money is probably
the 256GB drives. Tiny really, compared to a best value for money
terabyte IDE drive.

Get the SSD!

PS: Don't run one on XP, I don't think the OS supports TRIM. Windows 7
or later.
They also make great laptop drives - silent, low power consumption, and
can take a knock (no moving parts).

--
Duncan.
Old May 29th 15, 01:04 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

On Thu, 28 May 2015 09:15:40 +0100, BobH wrote:

On 27/05/2015 23:32, micky wrote:
Current state of SSD's

My niece thinks she needs a new laptop. Hers' is all of 4 years old and
she imagines its running slowly. (Or it is but could be fiixed.)

She wasts a solid state drive. Last I heard, you could only write to
them so many times before they started forgetting what they knew.

Are they still unreliable in this or some other way?

If its running slow now, maybe it just needs all the crap cleaned off. I

She didn't ask my advice. We're not as close as I woudl like, though
the 4 days in NYC helped.

I figure someone will get her old one (If it weren't a Mac, I'd have
asked her for it.) and he can clean it up.

have done too many laptops which are running like a snail at first, but
be time I have cleaned them out they are more or less just like new again.

Anyways an SSD can only run at the speed of what SATA speed the laptop
is now . That is if it's SATA 2 now then it will always be sata 2.

Does any 20-something keep her laptop long enough for SATA-2 to be
replaced by Sata-3. I would, but I get the idea my niece won't.

But I would have told her SSDs are bad if that were the consensus here.
AFAICT, it's not, so if she gets one, okay by me.

Thanks.
Old May 29th 15, 01:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

On Thu, 28 May 2015 00:02:12 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

On 27/05/2015 6:32 PM, micky wrote:
Current state of SSD's

My niece thinks she needs a new laptop. Hers' is all of 4 years old and
she imagines its running slowly. (Or it is but could be fiixed.)

She wasts a solid state drive. Last I heard, you could only write to
them so many times before they started forgetting what they knew.

Are they still unreliable in this or some other way?

I'd say they're safe and reliable. I got two of them, one in my desktop
and one in my laptop. In actual fact, the larger these SSD get, the more
reliable they get. The reason is that there is a lot of redundancy built
into them, and the larger the memory pool the larger the redundancy pool.

I would suggest not getting any SSD that's less than 120GB at least.

Yousuf Khan

I just read that the US Defense Department is urging everyone to get
SSDs, in new computers and retrofitted ones. It turns out all the
spinning harddrives and their gyroscopic effect have made it harder for
the earth to spin, and the days are getting longer because of that.
This leads to all inds of problems. After everyone gets SSD's they're
going to fire rockets pointing east, spaced all around the world, and
get the earth back to its previous speed.
Old May 29th 15, 02:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

On Fri, 29 May 2015 11:54:13 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

In article , NONONOmisc07
[...]

Speaking of taking a knock....

I rarely travel, but I was in Israel for 8 weeks 7 years ago. I bought
some pistachio nuts and I had eaten the ones that were easy to open.

I had a dozen left, and as if I left my mind back in the USA, I decided
to open one of them by squeezing it between the table in the meeting
room and the new/used IBM Thinkpad running winME that I had bought for
the trip.

Now pistachios have hard shells, and before I knew it, it went shooting
across the room, at least 15 feet. I never found the nut, and the
computer worked fine for the rest of the session. That put my mind at
rest but that shows how much I knew.

When I went to start it up again, it didn't work, not surprisingly.

I ended up running chkdsk, on a fairly small drive, for about 60 hours,
sixty, until it finished. By this time I was back in the USA. IIRC I
reinstalled win ME on top of the data from the original disk, and things
were working pretty well. I took it to family and showed my pictures on
it and it was wonderful.

I backed up the whole harddrive.

It ran about 100 hours from the time of the nut until I was back here a
few days later, and I had the windows explorer running and was able to
watch one subdirectory after another disappear, until nothing was left.

I bought a new HDD and loaded it from the backup but never got the thing
to work again. By this time it was olld, heavy, and obsolete by answer
standard except mine, so I gave up.
Old May 29th 15, 07:15 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

On Fri, 29 May 2015 08:10:37 +0100, Charlie+ wrote:

On Fri, 29 May 2015 11:54:13 +1200, Dave Doe wrote as
underneath :

[...]

As I understand this, more modern SSDs do all their housekeeping
automatically on their own firmware and dont need TRIM or garbage
collection applied from outside at all. Anyway, we run a number of XP
Pro machines post installed with reasonably modern SSDs working happily
fast and without any problems, so far anyway! C+

Good to know. Before there was C++, was there C+?
Old May 30th 15, 02:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 28/05/2015 8:15 PM, micky wrote:
I just read that the US Defense Department is urging everyone to get
SSDs, in new computers and retrofitted ones. It turns out all the
spinning harddrives and their gyroscopic effect have made it harder for
the earth to spin, and the days are getting longer because of that.
This leads to all inds of problems. After everyone gets SSD's they're
going to fire rockets pointing east, spaced all around the world, and
get the earth back to its previous speed.

If you say so.

Yousuf Khan
Old May 31st 15, 01:24 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , Yousuf Khan
writes:
On 28/05/2015 8:15 PM, micky wrote:
I just read that the US Defense Department is urging everyone to get
SSDs, in new computers and retrofitted ones. It turns out all the
spinning harddrives and their gyroscopic effect have made it harder for
the earth to spin, and the days are getting longer because of that.
This leads to all inds of problems. After everyone gets SSD's they're
going to fire rockets pointing east, spaced all around the world, and
get the earth back to its previous speed.

If you say so.

Yousuf Khan

But the military themselves are very conservative, and the computer
controlling those rockets will have a spinning drive in it. And if it
malfunctions, so that the rockets fire for slightly too long, the days
will become too short.

And then they'll be urging us all to go back to spinning drives, but
ones that spin in the other direction ...
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

he was eventually struck off by the BMA in 1968 for not knowing his gluteus
maximus from his humerus.
Old May 31st 15, 09:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Mark Perkins

On Sun, 31 May 2015 01:24:28 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In message , Yousuf Khan
writes:
[...]

They already spin in the other direction in the Southern Hemisphere, thanks
to the Coriolis Effect.

Old June 1st 15, 12:59 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

On Sun, 31 May 2015 15:06:17 -0500, Mark Perkins
wrote:

On Sun, 31 May 2015 01:24:28 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In message , Yousuf Khan
writes:
[...]

Yikes. So if I t ake my laptop to Bolivia, all my data will come out
backwards. I mean sdrawkcab.