laptop & cmos battery

Old April 20th 15, 01:40 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Linea Recta[_2_]

Default laptop & cmos battery

Any people here have experience replacing the cmos battery of a laptop
themselves?
I might have to try that in the near future.
I suppose it is a day's work... or more?

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Old April 20th 15, 11:29 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Linea Recta wrote

Any people here have experience replacing
the cmos battery of a laptop themselves?

Yes.

I might have to try that in the near future.
I suppose it is a day's work... or more?

Varys with the laptop. Some of them have full
maintenance manuals available online and it
doesn't take long to do it with the best designed
ones that make it easy to change stuff like that,
its often just taking one of the covers off the
bottom and changing the battery in there.

With others you have to pull the whole laptop
to bits to expose the motherboard etc and that
can take a lot longer.
Old April 21st 15, 02:57 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

I haven't replaced a battery, but I can tell you that replacing a hard
drive for two different Acer netbooks was super easy in one - just pop
the back, and hell in the other -- horrible hell. So it could be the
same for the CMOS battery.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old April 23rd 15, 05:27 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
TheSharpener

On 04/20/2015 08:40 AM, Linea Recta wrote:
Any people here have experience replacing the cmos battery of a laptop
themselves?
I might have to try that in the near future.
I suppose it is a day's work... or more?

I just did this a few week's back for my Dell Inspiron 1545. At first,
it didn't look like it was going to be easy at all and then I found a
video explaining a possible shortcut method. I employed a variation of
the video method, and had the laptop ready to go in about 10 min. It
would have taken probably at least an hour or the regular way.

Although I used a shortcut, I never advise anyone doing this unless they
are quite competent in electronics to start with as it's too easy to
destroy something perfectly good.

Not sure what laptop you have, but Youtube can be your friend.
Sometimes it can take quite a lot of digging to find the wanted info.
Many times, laptops will be essentially one circuit that is used by
several manufacturers under different names, but the key is finding out
which motherboard/ circuitry are being used. Not always simple.

Good luck in your task.
Old April 27th 15, 06:54 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Linea Recta wrote:
Any people here have experience replacing the cmos battery of a laptop
themselves?
I might have to try that in the near future.
I suppose it is a day's work... or more?

Depends. On some of my laptops, it is easily accessible under the
memory-slot or other slot. In laptops it is usually on a cable,
not in a socket or soldered to the mainboard. If you cannot
getone with matching connectors, the easiest solution is to
splice wires and insulate with some heat-shtinking tubing.

Arno