throughput of southbridge with many disk?

Old March 2nd 15, 03:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default throughput of southbridge with many disk?

I had an Asus mainboard that had 8 SATA ports and 3 IDE ports.
I presume you could not run them all at once. It got me thinking about
I/O bottlenecks.
Intel ditched the ICH chipsets, supposedly because the CPU-southbridge
traffic got stifled (although I remember i7 Nehalems were still running
ICH10 instead of the new chipsets on i3/15).
So, if you were trying to build a poor-man's server with a desktop board, how
many disks can you feasibly handle? I presume if you pay for a
server chipset, they will cope with more shovels throwing coal into
the boiler.
Old March 2nd 15, 08:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

wrote

I had an Asus mainboard that had 8 SATA ports and 3 IDE ports.
I presume you could not run them all at once.

Corse you can.

It got me thinking about I/O bottlenecks.
Intel ditched the ICH chipsets, supposedly because the CPU-southbridge
traffic got stifled (although I remember i7 Nehalems were still running
ICH10 instead of the new chipsets on i3/15).

So, if you were trying to build a poor-man's server with a
desktop board, how many disks can you feasibly handle?

There is no nice tidy number.

I presume if you pay for a server chipset, they will
cope with more shovels throwing coal into the boiler.

Its more complicated than that.
Old March 6th 15, 11:02 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

I found this review
http://us.hardware.info/reviews/2712...cales-the-best

Interesting that both can handle 6 drives for writing.

Hard disk sustained throughput PeteOlcott General 8 August 17th 08 03:46 AM
Southbridge speeds Cal Vanize General 3 January 2nd 08 08:00 AM
Southbridge speeds Cal Vanize AMD x86-64 Processors 0 January 1st 08 04:15 AM
P5N-E SLI Southbridge heatsink? AJ[_2_] Asus Motherboards 1 June 27th 07 11:38 PM
southbridge cooling on NF7-S Doug Overclocking AMD Processors 3 September 22nd 03 11:47 PM