nerve-racking experience

Old January 22nd 15, 09:07 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Linea Recta[_2_]

Default nerve-racking experience

Because of some persistent problem* on my notebook, I was going to restore a
Macrium image, or so I thougt.
After inserting the boot disk I heard all sorts of noises, spinning up and
spinning down, but no way, the drive wasn't going to read the CD. Not a real
problem I thought. I'll boot up and burn a new one. Inserted a blank CD and
again the sound of spinning up and down. "no media". Damn!! Next I tried a
CDRW... same trouble!
The drive DID read DVD's. However, no CDR nor CDRW.
Nearly desperate, I got an idea. I opened the tray and with a clean shaving
brush I wiped the head and lenses.
After this treatment: yes! The drive works again like new.
No need for flinging the notebook out of the window... yet :-)

Restore of image succeeded but I still have to do some updating and synching
(from 10-12-2014)
(Got rid of the initial *problem: "invalid Trusteer certificate" trying to
log into on line bank)

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Old January 22nd 15, 11:37 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

"Linea Recta" wrote in message
Because of some persistent problem* on my notebook, I was going to restore
a Macrium image, or so I thougt.
After inserting the boot disk I heard all sorts of noises, spinning up and
spinning down, but no way, the drive wasn't going to read the CD. Not a
real problem I thought. I'll boot up and burn a new one. Inserted a blank
CD and again the sound of spinning up and down. "no media". Damn!! Next I
tried a CDRW... same trouble!
The drive DID read DVD's. However, no CDR nor CDRW.
Nearly desperate, I got an idea. I opened the tray and with a clean
shaving brush I wiped the head and lenses.
After this treatment: yes! The drive works again like new.
No need for flinging the notebook out of the window... yet :-)

Bet you are a smoker.

Old January 23rd 15, 04:43 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Gene E. Bloch[_3_]

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 21:07:33 +0100, Linea Recta wrote:

I was going to correct you about "nerve-racking", but lucky for me, I
checked first :-)

Seems that both are correct, but my form, "nerve-wracking", is the
variant form.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old January 23rd 15, 05:06 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
mike

On 1/22/2015 2:37 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

I had one drive with a filament of spider web across the lens.
Normal cleaner disk wouldn't take it off, had to disassemble the thing.
Old January 23rd 15, 07:45 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Andy[_17_]

Canned air works better with out the risk of scratching the lens

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"Linea Recta" wrote in message
Because of some persistent problem* on my notebook, I was going to restore
a Macrium image, or so I thougt.
After inserting the boot disk I heard all sorts of noises, spinning up and
spinning down, but no way, the drive wasn't going to read the CD. Not a
real problem I thought. I'll boot up and burn a new one. Inserted a blank
CD and again the sound of spinning up and down. "no media". Damn!! Next I
tried a CDRW... same trouble!
The drive DID read DVD's. However, no CDR nor CDRW.
Nearly desperate, I got an idea. I opened the tray and with a clean
shaving brush I wiped the head and lenses.
After this treatment: yes! The drive works again like new.
No need for flinging the notebook out of the window... yet :-)

Restore of image succeeded but I still have to do some updating and
synching (from 10-12-2014)
(Got rid of the initial *problem: "invalid Trusteer certificate" trying to
log into on line bank)

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Old January 23rd 15, 04:58 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 19:43:15 -0800, "Gene E. Bloch"
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 21:07:33 +0100, Linea Recta wrote:

I was going to correct you about "nerve-racking", but lucky for me, I
checked first :-)

Seems that both are correct, but my form, "nerve-wracking", is the
variant form.

I also always thought that it was "nerve-wracking." You didn't say
where you checked, so I just checked in WNI2, and to my surprise found
the same thing.
Old January 23rd 15, 05:30 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Linea Recta[_2_]

"Rod Speed" schreef in bericht

"Linea Recta" wrote in message
Because of some persistent problem* on my notebook, I was going to
restore a Macrium image, or so I thougt.
After inserting the boot disk I heard all sorts of noises, spinning up
and spinning down, but no way, the drive wasn't going to read the CD. Not
a real problem I thought. I'll boot up and burn a new one. Inserted a
blank CD and again the sound of spinning up and down. "no media". Damn!!
Next I tried a CDRW... same trouble!
The drive DID read DVD's. However, no CDR nor CDRW.
Nearly desperate, I got an idea. I opened the tray and with a clean
shaving brush I wiped the head and lenses.
After this treatment: yes! The drive works again like new.
No need for flinging the notebook out of the window... yet :-)

Bet you are a smoker.

Wrong bet.

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Old January 23rd 15, 05:33 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Linea Recta[_2_]

"mike" schreef in bericht
[...]

The notebook has the advantage that the DVD lens is very accessible with the
tray open. If this happened with the normal PC built-in DVD device, cleaning
would be much more difficult.

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Old January 23rd 15, 05:40 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Linea Recta[_2_]

"Ken Blake" schreef in bericht
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 21:07:33 +0100, Linea Recta wrote:

I was going to correct you about "nerve-racking", but lucky for me, I
checked first :-)

Seems that both are correct, but my form, "nerve-wracking", is the
variant form.

I also always thought that it was "nerve-wracking." You didn't say
where you checked, so I just checked in WNI2, and to my surprise found
the same thing.

Actually I was inclined to write "nerve wrecking", but to be on the safe
side I looked it up in Euroglot:
"nerve-racking"
"nerve-wracking"

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Old January 23rd 15, 05:44 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Linea Recta[_2_]

"Andy" schreef in bericht
Canned air works better with out the risk of scratching the lens

Good alternative, though more expensive.
I also need that to clean the interior of (a mechanical) clock, but havn't
had the time to find a supplier yet.

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk