hardware questions

Old May 8th 18, 01:52 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,nl.comp.hardware,nl.telecom
Linea Recta[_2_]

Default hardware questions

This is about the phone Samsung Galaxy S4 mini.
I got it second hand.
It came with a small mains plug shaped adaptor which connects to the phone
with a USB cable.
This cable has a "normal" USB plug on one side and a mini plug on the other
side.
This cable is very short.
I have a longer cable with the same plugs which seem to fit physically.

- Can I use the other cable safely to connect to the PC and/or to the mains
adaptor?

- Can I connect this phone to my (TomTom) USB car adaptor?

In other words: how universal is USB?

The phone manual warns not to use non-original accessories...

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Old May 8th 18, 03:13 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,nl.comp.hardware,nl.telecom
Whiskers

"Linea Recta" Wrote in message:
This is about the phone Samsung Galaxy S4 mini.
I got it second hand.
It came with a small mains plug shaped adaptor which connects to the phone
with a USB cable.
This cable has a "normal" USB plug on one side and a mini plug on the other
side.
This cable is very short.
I have a longer cable with the same plugs which seem to fit physically.

- Can I use the other cable safely to connect to the PC and/or to the mains
adaptor?

- Can I connect this phone to my (TomTom) USB car adaptor?

In other words: how universal is USB?

The phone manual warns not to use non-original accessories...

I have interchanged chargers and cables of different makes
without problems, for years. Sometimes a device will pop up a
message about 'slow charging' but it still gets charged
up.

Micro-USB plugs do sometimes work loose, and need to be replaced.
There are many brands of replacement cable, some only work for
charging not for data transfer - that's actually a safety feature
if you're using a public phone-charging point.

--
^^^^^^^^^^
Whiskers

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old May 8th 18, 04:18 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,nl.comp.hardware,nl.telecom
John McGaw

On 5/8/2018 8:52 AM, Linea Recta wrote:
This is about the phone Samsung Galaxy S4 mini.
I got it second hand.
It came with a small mains plug shaped adaptor which connects to the phone
with a USB cable.
This cable has a "normal" USB plug on one side and a mini plug on the other
side.
This cable is very short.
I have a longer cable with the same plugs which seem to fit physically.

- Can I use the other cable safely to connect to the PC and/or to the mains
adaptor?

- Can I connect this phone to my (TomTom) USB car adaptor?

In other words: how universal is USB?

The phone manual warns not to use non-original accessories...

In theory _Universal_ Serial Bus is universal. That said, sometimes
manufacturers don't always follow the rules and quite often the hardware is
pure crap. A high-quality mains charger or car adapter and a decent cable
(Anker braided is my favorite) won't do you wrong. I would never trust the
cheap clone adapter and thin cable picked up at the local discount store
with any of my equipment. You should be aware that not every charger will
support every proprietary quick-charge scheme that a randomly-chosen phone
maker dreams up but that only means that charging will take longer -- no
damage should ever ensue if a proper but non-original USB charger is used.
Old May 8th 18, 06:18 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,nl.comp.hardware,nl.telecom
Linea Recta[_2_]

"John McGaw" schreef in bericht
[...]

OK, the main thing is that I don't risk blowing up anything.
One of these days I'll try out testing these in practice.

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Old May 10th 18, 04:06 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,nl.comp.hardware,nl.telecom
O. Udeman

Op 8-5-2018 om 19:18 schreef Linea Recta:
[...]

Try Galaxy Charging Current from Abmantis. App will show differences (if
any) in loading current using different usb cables.

Cumputer Hardware Questions [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 2 March 12th 06 07:49 AM
Questions about hardware.. cronikl3 General 4 March 8th 05 01:54 AM
hardware questions Girgath General 12 December 4th 03 09:51 AM
hardware questions Girgath Homebuilt PC's 0 November 30th 03 12:56 AM
Config / Hardware Questions Chris Buckley Overclocking 0 August 10th 03 04:12 PM