OCZ Vertex (30GB), real world performance

Old April 12th 09, 10:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
John Doe

Default OCZ Vertex (30GB), real world performance

The 30/32 GB OCZ Vertex, firmware 1275.
Two hard drives installed, the SSD and a 150GB Raptor.
All results in seconds. Lower is better.

From two different clean installs of Windows,
one on the SSD, the other on the Raptor.

Ad-Aware

Smart Scan
Raptor
6
Vertex
4.5

Profile Scan, drive C only
Raptor (85,524 files)
240
Raptor
280
Different installation
Vertex (85,434 files, some sysem files went to the Raptor)
144
Vertex
154

Copy one 3-4 gigabyte file
Raptor
109
Vertex
75
Different installation
Raptor
108
Vertex
91

Copy folder, 2,740 files (1,000,000,000 bytes)
Raptor
49
Vertex
38
Different installation
Raptor
47
Vertex
39

7-Zip extract 3-4 gigabyte RAR archive
Raptor
122 (26 MB/sec)
Vertex
121 (26 MB/sec)

The next was done on some other install of Windows.

Copy one 2-3 gigabyte file
Raptor
67
Vertex
49
Compressing one 2-3 gigabyte file
Raptor
265
Vertex
205
Copy folder, 2,740 files (1,000,000,000 bytes)
Raptor
12.5
Vertex
11
Compressing 2,740 files (1,000,000,000 bytes)
Raptor
64
Vertex
62
Decompressing same folder
Raptor
84
Vertex
80
Old April 12th 09, 11:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Those slow down with use. I tried to find the article for you but
couldn't. See what it does after it has filled up once.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old April 13th 09, 11:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Timothy Drouillard[_2_]

You might want to go to the OCZ web site and get the newer firmware (version
1.10 , and yes the numbering is different).

The newest firmware (1.10) is supposed to make a big difference in the
performance. I believe it also implements a new 'trim' feature.

Thew downside is that updateing the firmware WILL completely erase the
drive, so be prepared to reload the entire drive afterwards.

"John Doe" wrote in message

The 30/32 GB OCZ Vertex, firmware 1275.
Two hard drives installed, the SSD and a 150GB Raptor.
All results in seconds. Lower is better.

From two different clean installs of Windows,

Old April 13th 09, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
John Doe

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote:

The newest firmware (1.10) is supposed to make a big difference in
the performance. I believe...

"somewhere, over the rainbow..."

If you believe OCZ, advertisers, and OCZ fanboys... the Vertex
already runs faster than a speeding bullet. Looks like more
advertising to me. After the last firmware update, when the fanboy
enthusiasm begins to fade and real world performance sets in, just
publish a "NEW AND IMPROVED!" firmware update.
Old April 13th 09, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Timothy Drouillard[_2_]

Here are the links to the articles I remember the firmware being mentioned
in.
http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531

and a followup..

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3535

Just passing on the info. Form your own opinions.

I have the 120gig version of the Vertex (just got it last week).
Currently running it in a Dell XPS 420 with a QX6850 3.0Ghz Quad Extreme,
8gig ram, running Vista-64 Ultimate.

I'm still expirementing with it and forming my own opinions, comparing it to
the 300gig Velociraptor I was using prior to its purchase.

My drive came with an older version of the firmware (1190 I believe), and I
updated mine to the mentioned 1.10 version currently available for the `120.

Yes it is much faster in some regards, but sometimes the system appears to
hang for a while, but I don't have enough experiance with the Vertx
insrtallation just yet to point the blame for the hesitations on something
within my system and it's installation of Vista, or the Vertex drive.

In my case the 120gig version of the drive set me back $459.00 at the local
Microcenter.

Is the speed increase over the V-raptor worth the $450 ? so far It's hard to
say.

Old April 14th 09, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
John Doe

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote:

I have the 120gig version of the Vertex

Yes it is much faster in some regards,

Like opening programs.
Restarting seems no different here.

but sometimes the system appears to hang for a while, but I don't
have enough experiance with the Vertx insrtallation just yet to
point the blame for the hesitations on something within my system
and it's installation of Vista, or the Vertex drive.

It is drive related, since it never happens with a real drive.

Installing and reinstalling Windows is easy here. That makes testing
easy too. After the fabulous new firmware update to 1.10 ...

In seconds, lower is better.
Copy folder with 8 big files (8.38 GB)
Raptor 336
Vertex 194
Copy folder with 20,288 files (3.46 GB)
Raptor 207
Vertex 147
Copy folder with 10,758 files (2.06 GB)
Raptor 110
Vertex 69
Copy folder with 5,379 files (1.03 GB)
Raptor 16
Vertex 17
Compressing folder with 5,379 files (1.03 GB)
Raptor 66
Vertex 68
Decompressing folder with 5,379 files (1.03 GB)
Raptor 77
Vertex 76
Old April 14th 09, 01:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Timothy Drouillard[_2_]

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Timothy Drouillard" wrote:

I have the 120gig version of the Vertex

Yes it is much faster in some regards,

Like opening programs.

Yes. opening some programs such as Word, Excel, or Outlook seem to open in
less than a blink of an eye. Starting some games such as Crysis still takes
a while tho less than the v-raptor.

Restarting seems no different here.

Perhaps a bit quicker with the SSD, but not by an earth-shattering margin.

but sometimes the system appears to hang for a while, but I don't
have enough experiance with the Vertx insrtallation just yet to
point the blame for the hesitations on something within my system
and it's installation of Vista, or the Vertex drive.

It is drive related, since it never happens with a real drive.

So far I haven't been able to definatly establish a pattern to the
hesitations I've seen, so for me, it's too early to blame it on the drive
even though the various articles I've read describe the reasons SSD drives
hesitate.

I was led to believe that this 'trim' function that was implimented in
firmware 1.10 would help alievate or help minimize the typical hesitations
that are caused by having to erase multiple cells before a single cell can
be written to in some cases.

Old April 14th 09, 04:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
John Doe

This program automates some of the tweaks (whether they are useful
or not, you decide), I prefer to have a program do the adjusting.

http://members.westnet.com.au/elpamy...SSDTweaker.zip

There is discussion of that utility on the OCZ forum.

Good luck and have fun.
Old April 14th 09, 07:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
John Doe

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote:
"John Doe" wrote

Restarting seems no different here.

Perhaps a bit quicker with the SSD,

It is much quicker at first, until programs are installed and Windows
is setup like it was before. I use backup copies of Windows. I have
copied them to the SSD right after it is installed.