Stupid Defrag Question

Old April 9th 09, 01:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Default Stupid Defrag Question

Keith Wilby wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

It was just a pig ignorant steaming turd.

Keith, we have Rod Speed filtered out. He's not human.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old April 9th 09, 11:28 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
DevilsPGD[_3_]

In message Ed Light
was claimed to have wrote:

Nope, it makes no difference to the speed of the image creation and its
pointless defragging modern drives except in the most unusual situations.

Though it may not apply to NTFS, I keep remembering what I read in my
first DOS manual. It said to defrag regularly enough to keep the OS from
getting confused and losing a fragment.

No such thing in normal operation -- However, when it comes to
recovering from corrupted allocation tables, fragmentation is your
enemy.
Old April 10th 09, 01:00 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan

Keith Wilby wrote:
"Ed Light" wrote in message
Keith Wilby wrote:
If I take a backup image of a fragmented drive and restore it onto a
new one, does the new one inherit the fragmentation from the image?

Yes

Thanks Ed. So it's defrag then image by the sound of it.

Up until a few months ago, I would've suggested to you not to take an
image backup of your drive, but rather do a file copy operation instead
to defrag the new drive. However, a few months ago, I did exactly that
and I found that new drive was not defragged by the operation, and in
fact somehow became more fragmented! There was a bit of debate in this
newsgroup about it back then, and many theories were postulated.

Yousuf Khan
Old April 11th 09, 12:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"Keith Wilby" wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote:

Nope, no point in defragging before imaging with True Image.

True Image takes care of that?

I don't know about True Image, but Casper (a dedicated cloning
utility) makes a clone of whatever is there - fragmentation and all.
It just makes a direct copy of each sector, oblivious to whatever file
formatting that the sector contains. To the cloner, it's all just "contents".
As a result, the clone has the same degree of fragmentation that the
"parent" partition had. After I make a clone, I boot it up and take
a look at a few folders and files, then I shut it down and boot up the
"parent" and use the "parent" to defragment the clone. (I seem to get
a "tighter" defrag if it's done by another OS.) Then I boot up the clone
again, and I take a look at a few folders and files and run some programs
to see if the clone still works. Then, still running the clone, I turn around
and defragment the "parent". Then I shut down the clone and test the
"parent" again. It may sound tedious, but it saves me the anguish of
having an OS scrambled by the defrag without having a backup.

*TimDaniels*

Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! _____________ pexlug jpsga Storage (alternative) 7 November 11th 04 01:33 PM
Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! _____________---_ mobtykur JURB6006 General 3 November 10th 04 01:42 PM
Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! ___________ quspitom Mike Hunt Storage & Hardrives 0 November 8th 04 03:43 AM
defrag question hawk General 5 January 11th 04 04:35 PM
Another stupid fan question Lopaka Asus Motherboards 18 November 10th 03 09:51 PM