can windows 2000 read XP ntfs partitions?

Old June 21st 07, 10:36 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ian R

Default can windows 2000 read XP ntfs partitions?

Hi

My friends XP system has become unbootable and he needs urgent access to
data saved on the drive.

He has another PC running Win 2k Pro.

If we put the XP drive into the Win2K PC will it be able to read the XP
partitions?

Thanks for any info.

Ian

Old June 21st 07, 11:49 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Nik Simpson

Ian R wrote:
Hi

My friends XP system has become unbootable and he needs urgent access to
data saved on the drive.

He has another PC running Win 2k Pro.

If we put the XP drive into the Win2K PC will it be able to read the XP
partitions?

Back a long time ago when beta testing XP, you had to copy the ntfs.sys
file from the XP install to the W2K install to get 2K able to read the
XP NTFS partition. Not sure if that's still required or whether MS
updated W2K after the XP release.

--
Nik Simpson
Old June 21st 07, 04:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Eric Gisin

"Nik Simpson" wrote in message
Ian R wrote:
Hi

My friends XP system has become unbootable and he needs urgent access to data saved on the
drive.

He has another PC running Win 2k Pro.

If we put the XP drive into the Win2K PC will it be able to read the XP partitions?

Of course. Both are NT version 5.X, very few diffs.

Utter bull****. In NT4 you need SP6.

Old June 21st 07, 08:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Nik Simpson

Ian R wrote:
Hi

My friends XP system has become unbootable and he needs urgent access
to data saved on the drive.

He has another PC running Win 2k Pro.

If we put the XP drive into the Win2K PC will it be able to read the
XP partitions?

Of course. Both are NT version 5.X, very few diffs.

Back a long time ago when beta testing XP, you had to copy the
ntfs.sys file from the XP install to the W2K install to get 2K able to
read the XP NTFS partition. Not sure if that's still required or
whether MS updated W2K after the XP release.

Utter bull****. In NT4 you need SP6.

I might be thinking of the W2k beta vs. NT4, all those betas tend to
merge together in my mind.

--
Nik Simpson
Old June 22nd 07, 07:00 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Man-wai Chang

Ian R wrote:
Hi

My friends XP system has become unbootable and he needs urgent access to
data saved on the drive.

He has another PC running Win 2k Pro.

If we put the XP drive into the Win2K PC will it be able to read the XP
partitions?

Get a recent verison of LiveCD (Fedora 7, Knoppix, Ubuntu..). They could
read NTFS and doesn't require installation. Just boot them off the
DVD/CDROM...

--
iTech Consulting Services Limited
Expert in ePOS (Point-Of-Sales) solutions
Old June 22nd 07, 07:00 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Man-wai Chang

Get a recent verison of LiveCD (Fedora 7, Knoppix, Ubuntu..). They could
^^^^
left out a word Linux