Booting from hard drive attached to PCI

Old June 13th 07, 07:09 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
Paul

Default Booting from hard drive attached to PCI

CBFalconer wrote:
Paul wrote:
... snip ...
I don't own a SIL0680 (formerly known as CMD 0680 - the chip is
quite old, and SIL acquired it and possibly made tiny changes to
it). I'll leave it to a previous poster to describe it. See post
#11 in this thread. ...

You should be aware that posts are not numbered on Usenet, in fact
many posts may never arrive at any given destination. At the
moment, on my machine, this thread contains exactly seven posts.
You can refer to posts by the name of the poster, and (best) by the
internal identification code. This shows up under the Message-ID:
header, and is always unique.

And since I was referring to this "Google" web page, which does
have a number ? I've copied it for your reading pleasure...

http://groups.google.ca/group/micros...4a127097f38b95

******* Post #11 from the Google web page *******
Thanks ByTor,

Did indeed read your post and didn't get a chance yesterday to execute your
post, which I really want to do today. I'll get a chance later this
afternoon. I had some boot problems when I installed (replaced) the card
which involved the computer rebooting itself just after the WinXP splash
screen. Strangely this only happened a few times then all started going OK.
But occasionally (I mean rarely) the computer would reboot itself. This
problem exploded when I installed SP2 (WinXP) and all the boot up error
messages of not being able to save, write or find data back to C:\$Mft$ and
C:\Windows\System32 folders.

I was forced to do a reinstall of Windows (not complaining I actually look
for any excuse to rebuild a machine), the first attempt after what I thought
was a successful install, I had to get in via 'Safe Mode With Command
Prompt' where in the Disk Management Console, to my amazement, the disk I
installed WinXP on, thinking it was C:\ System, was actually classified as
F:\???? My big data disk on the Sil 0680 which had nothing on it as yet was
considered as C:\ System and healthy???? I did a reinstall again (to my
enjoyment) pulling the data disk out of the Sil 0680 and all went well, then
plugged back in again and all went well. Problem went away.

I then noticed, everytime I installed or updated a driver or adjusted the
pagefile would bring this problem back, but after a few reboots all was OK.
Now I'm blocked out completely. To answer your question, yeah, I think so
because when I first did the install of the card strange things started
happening but it wasn't all that bad. Now It's all bad. I'll see later if
it's because C:\ (system disk on the motherboard is disk(1)) and the D:\ (on
the Sil 0680) is disk(0)) is causing the problems. Also you mentioned about
the notorious behaviour of the Sil 0680 Card, in your opinion, should I dump
the Sil 0680 and go back to a Promise Technology IDE card? Or After some
adjustments the Sil 0680 can come out to be a good card? And I should hold
on to it.

Thank you very much for you posts ByTor I'll post back tomorrow morning and
let you know the results.

Regards,
Winux P.
*******

Paul

#11 in this thread. ...

You should be aware that posts are not numbered on Usenet, in fact
many posts may never arrive at any given destination. At the
moment, on my machine, this thread contains exactly seven posts.
You can refer to posts by the name of the poster, and (best) by the
internal identification code. This shows up under the Message-ID:
header, and is always unique.

And since I was referring to this "Google" web page, which does
have a number ? I've copied it for your reading pleasure...

That is not the point. Google is not Usenet, it is only a (poor)
interface to it. That is why most articles have quotation
sections. The idea is to make each article stand entirely on its
own,

--
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423

Old June 14th 07, 09:53 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
Daniel James

In article , Paul wrote:
And since I was referring to this "Google" web page, which does
have a number ? I've copied it for your reading pleasure...

It does, but you need to be aware that the number of any particular
message may change if more messages are posted to the thread. Google
numbers the messages from the top of the tree as it is drawn, when
it is drawn. Admittedly that's not very likely to happen to a thread
from two years ago.

Google URLs are a useful way to refer to other usenet posts, but the
most foolproof and reliable way to use them is to give the URL to the
specific message -- in your case that would be:

http://groups.google.ca/group/micros...4a127097f38b95

(from your URL click "More Options" and then "Individual Message").

As CBFalconer said, the other way to do it would be to quote the NNTP
Message-ID (which is for that
message). If you express that as in the format
some newsreaders will make
it a clickable link.

For a recent message this would be much preferable to a
Google link as those of us using off-line newsreaders could look up the
reference in our local messagebases without needing to go to Google.
For a two-year-old message it doesn't matter which you do, as most
people keep less history than that in their local messagebases, and
would end up looking in Google anyway (if they cared).

Cheers,
Daniel.

Old June 19th 07, 11:59 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
Folkert Rienstra

"johannes" wrote in message
Mike Walsh wrote:

Some system BIOSs will allow you to specify which SCSI adapter to boot with. Most will boot from only the first SCSI adapter
that loads its BIOS. A real SCSI adapter will allow you to disable its BIOS. The ATA cards I have seen that emulate SCSI don't
allow you to disable the BIOS; you most change PCI card slots to change which card will be used to boot.

AFAIK, it is much simpler. It is not a SCSI emulation, it is just that the
BIOS option 'Boot from SCSI' makes the motherboard look for the boot device
on the PCI BUS,

where is expects to find an alternative device, but not necessarily a SCSI.

But very likely of subClass SCSI.

The device type SCSI/PATA/SATA has really nothing to do with PCI,

Wrong.
PCI IDE add-in cards (or even chipsets integrated on the MoBo) identify
by device class, one of such is subClass SCSI.
Add in PATA cards use Class "Storage controller", subClass "SCSI".
SATA controllers now have (can have) their own SATA subClass.

it comes in much later by the type of disc connector card you plug
into the PCI.