best fan config?

Old February 13th 04, 01:44 AM
Si

Default best fan config?

I have a new case as the cooling was a bit of an issue on my old one. In
this new case I have

1 fan, on side panel, sucking are into the case
1 fan, on the top of the case, blowing air out
1 fan, at back of case, blowing air out (exhaust fan in the PCI slot)
2 fans, at back of case, sucking air in
1 fan, at front of case, circulating air inside the case (it is not near a
vent) - this is a 120mm fan

even with all these - and a PC that sounds like an aeroplane about to take
off - my CPU (AMD XP2800+) still runs at 53C (running SETI at 100% CPU
load) - case = 48C.

Is there a better config for my fans other than the setup above? Should I
reverse the direction of some of the fans?

Cheers,
Si.

Old February 13th 04, 02:55 AM
billy_bat

I am guessing that your ambient air temperature is about 40-45? I use two
case fans, and don't go more than 5 above ambient.
If your case is 48 and your cpu is 53, that isn't a bad differential.
How about some airconditioning? :-)
Good Luck!
BB

Old February 13th 04, 03:14 AM
ICee

Si wrote:
I have a new case as the cooling was a bit of an issue on my old one.
In this new case I have

1 fan, on side panel, sucking are into the case

good

1 fan, on the top of the case, blowing air out

good

1 fan, at back of case, blowing air out (exhaust fan in the PCI slot)

good

2 fans, at back of case, sucking air in

*Bad*. Fans at the back of the case should be exhausting air out of the
case.

1 fan, at front of case, circulating air inside the case (it is not
near a vent) - this is a 120mm fan

Don't think that will help anything, other than circulate hot air. If
you have a place to mount a fan in the front of the case, install a fan
there, blowing into the case, and remove the "circulating" fan.

even with all these - and a PC that sounds like an aeroplane about to
take off - my CPU (AMD XP2800+) still runs at 53C (running SETI at
100% CPU load) - case = 48C.

Not surprising with the rear fans blowing into the case.

Is there a better config for my fans other than the setup above?
Should I reverse the direction of some of the fans?

Cheers,
Si.

Follow the above advice, and your temps should drop precipitously.

Old February 13th 04, 03:38 AM
Si

"ICee" wrote in message
Si wrote:
[...]

Many thanks. I'll give it a try.

BTW, my room is about 20 to 25C (in the UK with the heating on!).

Si.

Old February 13th 04, 03:47 AM
Don Sly

"Si" wrote in message
"ICee" wrote in message
Si wrote:
[...]

If you know the cubic feet per minute the fans move try to have the same
amount of air moving into machine as is leaving the case. If there is a
difference I am not sure if it better to have more air going into or leaving
case.

Old February 13th 04, 03:55 AM
Si

"billy_bat" wrote in message
I am guessing that your ambient air temperature is about 40-45? I use two
case fans, and don't go more than 5 above ambient.
If your case is 48 and your cpu is 53, that isn't a bad differential.
How about some airconditioning? :-)
Good Luck!
BB

Altough the case temp states (now 40C) with the rear fans blowing out, the
air does not seem warm to me (holding my had by the exhaust fans)
Is this normal?

Si.

Old February 13th 04, 03:58 AM
Si

case temp now running at 40C
CPU at 48C

Now I have 1 fan blowing in, 4 fans blowing out. (there are loads of slits
in the top of my case for ventilation - I guess air is being drawn in
through these).

Si.

Old February 13th 04, 05:18 AM
Phil Weldon

Usually, what you are calling the 'case' temperature is from a small
thermistor mounted on the motherboard. The position varies among
motherboard models. The temperature at that spot is ALWAYS warmer than the
air inside the case, sometimes by quite a lot if the location is near the
DC/DC convertor/regulators or memory. With an operating system like Windows
2000 or later, when the CPU is under light load, the CPU temperatue will be
LOWER than the 'case' temperature (which is more accurately termed the
motherboard temperature.) To get lower CPU temperatures you should insure
that ambient room air blows directly into the CPU fan/heatsink and that the
CPU fan blows that air directly INTO the heatsink. The other case fans
should be used to exhaust the air from the CPU heat sink and to cool the
motherboard and the other components.

From what you describe in a later post, the air coming out of the case IS
cooler than the motherboard temperature. Measure the temperature of the air
ENTERING the CPU heatsink/fan. That temperature should be as close as
possible to the ambient room temperature.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

Old February 13th 04, 02:22 PM
Spajky®

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:44:08 -0000, "Si" wrote:

1 fan, on side panel, sucking are into the case

put it on 5V

1 fan, on the top of the case, blowing air out

put it on 5V

1 fan, at back of case, blowing air out (exhaust fan in the PCI slot)

put it on 7V

2 fans, at back of case, sucking air in

let them blow OUT, both on 5V

1 fan, at front of case, circulating air inside the case (it is not near a
vent) - this is a 120mm fan

put it on 7V

even with all these - and a PC that sounds like an aeroplane about to take
off - my CPU (AMD XP2800+) still runs at 53C (running SETI at 100% CPU
load) - case = 48C.

put it on 7V (see my site under electro how still to read RPMs..)

should be Ok like this

.... no more airplane feeling ...

-- Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

dual boot ? with raid 0 config? David Ciemny General 6 July 21st 04 12:18 PM
changed stripe size in my raid config...not booting now David Ciemny General 1 July 21st 04 05:25 AM
Raid config ? David Ciemny General 3 April 8th 04 11:12 AM
using raid 0 hd config, cdrw settings? David Ciemny General 1 October 8th 03 05:16 AM
Motherboard config. question. Just Nice General 5 August 30th 03 09:52 AM