Drives suddenly increased operating temp

Old April 27th 09, 06:05 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
JimR

Default Drives suddenly increased operating temp

I have a 5-year old Dell 400SC running as a home desktop, with 2 drives.
A ST 3400 633AS and a WDC WD400BB. I have been using lmsensors and
ksensors to monitor the temp on these for a number of months. They
normally both run very close to 40 degrees C, which is below the alarm
condition.

Two days ago, they both jumped up to 42 - 43 degrees C, which tripped
the alarms on ksensors. The case fan and power-supply fan both seem to
be operating normally. I opened the case and vacuumed out what little
dust there was (I do that twice a year anyway). I also reversed the
position of these two drives within the bay (they will not fit into any
of the other bays.) However, that did not resolve the problem.

Tonight I jury-rigged an external fan on top of the vents for the
regular case fan. As soon as I oriented it the right way, then drive
temps are both steady at 39 degrees C.

All of the power-supply voltage monitors are within .02, so I don't
think that is the problem.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
JimR
Old April 27th 09, 09:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

The room could be warmer?
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old April 27th 09, 09:07 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Maybe there's dust between the front panel and the intakes. Have you
taken the front panel off?

Old April 27th 09, 05:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

JimR wrote:
[...]

Summer has started?

I think up to 45C should be unproblematic and temporary peaks
of 50C should still be ok.

Arno
Old April 28th 09, 06:13 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan

JimR wrote:
All of the power-supply voltage monitors are within .02, so I don't
think that is the problem.

As others have said, summer temperatures are starting, so I wouldn't
worry about it. I have drives in my system that continously operate
above 40C, and even one external USB drive that operates above 50C.
Granted that external drive doesn't have a cooling fan.

Yousuf Khan