ASRock Board with SIS 181 Raid 1 - Test of Raid 1 - Boot not possible anymore

Old June 23rd 07, 10:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Alex Thies[_2_]

Default ASRock Board with SIS 181 Raid 1 - Test of Raid 1 - Boot not possible anymore

Hello guys.

Greetings from Germany. I hope you can help me.

I have got an Asrock P4S55FX+ mainboard with an SIS 181 Raid
controller. In the past I used a Raid-1 with two SATA IBM 160GB HDDs
and my Windows 2003. It worked very well. When I removed on HDD
(broken raid1), it was still possible to boot Windows 2003. But I
changed the HDD to two 500GB Seagate HDDs.
I used Acronis True Image to transfer the partitions to one of the new
500GB HDD. Then I created a Raid-1 in the SIS bios and copied the data
of HDD1 to HDD2. Everything worked well too.

I installed Windows Vista and SuSE Linux 10.2 too. After some days, I
tried to check the functionality of my Raid mirror and removed one of
the HDDs (broken raid1). I found out, the Raid controller detects one
Seagate HDD but does not give me the possibility to boot from the HDD.
I also tried it out with the other HDD but it also did not work. But
when I attach both HDDs, it works well. Also all data are mirrored on
both HDDs.

Then I tried out to remove the Raid in the SIS Raid controller bias. I
had to single HDDs (no Raid 1) and it was possible to boot from every
single HDD separately. So it can't be a problem of the operating
systems boot managers.

I also tried out to attach one of my old IBM HDD and one of my Seagate
HDD. Then my Raid-1 is broken, both HDDs were detected by the Raid
bios, but the PC tries just to boot from the IBM HDD. It does not
detect the Seagate HDD to boot from.

Do you think my Raid controller does not support to work with Seagate
HDDs?

My configuration:

HDD1-Seagate:
- 50 GB, primary, active, NTFS, Windows 2003
- 24,13 GB, primary, NTFS, Windows Vista
- 551KB unused
- 340GB, primary, NTFS, Programs
- 1,486GB, logical, Linux Swap
- 30GB, logical, Ext3, Linux
- 20GB, logical, Ext3, User

HDD2-Seagate:
- 50 GB, primary, active, NTFS, Windows 2003
- 24,13 GB, primary, NTFS, Windows Vista
- 551KB unused
- 340GB, primary, NTFS, Programs
- the rest unsed (my Linux does not support Raid at the moment)

-Bootmanager:
1. Grub to select Linux or Windows
2. Windows Vista to select Vista or Windows 2003
3. Windows 2003

Regards,
Alex from Germany