Multiple SATA drive enclosure - can I do this?

Old December 20th 06, 07:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Default Multiple SATA drive enclosure - can I do this?

wrote

Thermaltake makes a nifty three 5 1/4" bay cage with a 120mm fan in front of it

Yeah,
http://www.thermaltake.com/product/C...cage/a2309.asp

That's a nifty device. I'm sure this is by design (to aid in
cooling), but it's only a 1:1 mapping of 5.25" bays to 3.5" bays.

Yeah, its really just a decent way of providing good airflow
over the 3.5" drives when they are in the 5.25" drive bay stack.

Finding a tower case to fit four of them might be impossible
as I haven't seen any tower cases that offer 12 bays.

I seem to recall having seen a few, but sure, they are pretty rare.

At the very best it limits my case options severely.

Yeah, tho you could have a couple of cases mounted side by side
with no covers on the sides where they meet, with some sort of
mechanism to clamp them together, maybe even just a long bolt
thru both cases in a couple of places. That would provide a
convenient way of having two power supplys too. Just have half
the drives and their power supply in the second case.

Those iCages are cost effective, though - I found
them as cheap as $16.81 apiece at ACSOutlet.com
(http://www.acsoutlet.com/A2309-Standard.aspx)
- shipping yet to be determined.

Yeah, meant to include the pricegrabber link as well and forgot.

Buying four would cut a good amount off buying the two SuperMicro
cages I was considering, but the SuperMicro cages allow me five
drives in the space of three bays plus hot-swappability.

Yeah, they certainly have their advantages. Hot swap might be
handy but its a bit theoretical when drives are pretty reliable now.

The big advantage with the iCage vertical spacing is that
you have plenty of free space between adjacent drives
to make it easy to keep the drives cool with quiet fans.

Tough choice, but I think the fact that I can only fit
three of those iCages in the tower cases I've been
considering might end up being the deciding factor.

I'd consider the two case approach myself, because
it makes the second power supply mounting easier too.

I'd rather have the big fan that the iCage has and
would personally put a fan controller on it and
wind the speed back while ensuring the drive
SMART temps are fine, so its nice and quiet.

There arent going to be that many cases that will take 4 of those tho.

I'd keep looking at dedicated hotswap backplane cases, though.

Yeah, me too.

All the dedicated hotswap backplane cases I've been able
to find have been rackmount. I don't have a rack (this is a
home project) nor am I currently considering a rack.

And the prices are in a different class too.

I have had difficulty finding some pedistal-tower-form-factor cases
with dedicated hot-swap backplanes. If you could point me in the
right direction to where I should look I'd appreciate it.

I wouldnt bother myself, essentially because you dont really
need hotswap. Is it any big deal if you have to turn the system
off in the rare event that you do need to replace a drive ?

Its obvious why servers need hotswap, but its unlikely
you do unless the other inhabitant of your house are
likely to Bobbit you when you need to swap a drive.

It would be cheaper to just get a solid door for the room
the NAS is in and lock it while you are swapping the drive.

If you're serious enough to need RAID5,
you should do it with the right equipment.

Dunno, you can make a case that he doesnt really
need hot swap and that cold swap would be fine
and worth the massive saving on price.

If you're just experimenting, that's a different matter...but building
your own cases/cooling system, and buying quality power supplies
could reach the price of a dedicated case pretty quickly.

If you could actually find a full tower case that can take 4 of those
iCages, and two power supplys, the price may not be quite that bad.
The iCages are reasonably priced.

I prefer the twin case route now. Mainly
because it handles the extra power supply too.

Right now my case looks like the following:

Sheet metal, plastic, fans: $145 Cooler Master CM Stacker tower case
Power Supply: $150 Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620 watts
Drive Enclosures: $245 for (2) SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B hot-swap drive
enclosures

Yeah, maybe I can find a cheaper case than $540 that will give me all that.

Yep, two cases with 2 iCages each would be cheaper.

The only real thing you lose is hotswap and you gain ease of separate
power supply and you dont need such a monster supply as the Corsair.

You need to consider whether a single power supply has enough
current for all those drives on the +12V rail that powers the drives
too. Most of those big supplys have the extra wattage on the other
12V rails that are intended for the cpu and video cards, not drives.

Corse if your raid card supports staggered starts it may not matter much.

Maybe I can jury-rig a rackmount in the space
where I am planning on keeping this equipment.

Or maybe I can just build a new computer rack.

Or just bolt a couple of normal cases together etc.

This is why this is called the _planning_ stage

It is indeed.

Thanks for your continued help. I'm going to continue researching.

I'd be interested to hear how it works out when you
implement it, whichever route you end up going, particularly
if it ends up not as obvious as it first looks currently.

Old December 20th 06, 07:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

David A. Flory wrote:
Folkert Rienstra wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com
Thermaltake makes a nifty three 5 1/4" bay cage with a 120mm fan
in front of it
Yeah,
http://www.thermaltake.com/product/C...cage/a2309.asp
That's a nifty device. I'm sure this is by design (to aid in
cooling), but it's only a 1:1 mapping of 5.25" bays to 3.5" bays. Finding a tower case to fit
four of them might be impossible as I
haven't seen any tower cases that offer 12 bays. At the very best
it limits my case options severely.

Those iCages are cost effective, though - I found them as cheap as
$16.81 apiece at ACSOutlet.com
(http://www.acsoutlet.com/A2309-Standard.aspx) - shipping yet to be
determined.

Buying four would cut a good amount off buying the two SuperMicro
cages I was considering, but the SuperMicro cages allow me five
drives in the space of three bays plus hot-swappability.

Tough choice, but I think the fact that I can only fit three of
those iCages in the tower cases I've been considering might end up
being the deciding factor.

Then also consider this one:
http://www.cooldrives.com/sainhosaraca.html

[snip]

^^^Good idea. I remember looking at those myself. I'm a bit concerned that they only have one
fan and no temperature warning system.

You could fix the last by using the drive SMART temps yourself.

One advantage of the low density iCages is that if the fan fails (and good 120mm fans usually
don't), your drives will probably be okay until you notice the problem.

True. And since there is a lot of space between the drives,
you should be able to put a fan speed controller on the
fans and so get a nice quiet system even tho it has fans.

Even if a high density rack has a warning system, you need have some sort of plan for a cooling
failure (auto-shutdown, etc.) or your drives will cook.

Sure, but that isnt that hard to do using the drive SMART temps.

Old December 21st 06, 12:10 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"David A. Flory" wrote in message
Folkert Rienstra wrote:
wrote in message ups.com
Thermaltake makes a nifty three 5 1/4" bay cage with a 120mm fan in front of it
Yeah, http://www.thermaltake.com/product/C...cage/a2309.asp
That's a nifty device. I'm sure this is by design (to aid in cooling),
but it's only a 1:1 mapping of 5.25" bays to 3.5" bays. Finding a
tower case to fit four of them might be impossible as I haven't seen
any tower cases that offer 12 bays. At the very best it limits my case
options severely.

Those iCages are cost effective, though - I found them as cheap as
$16.81 apiece at ACSOutlet.com
(http://www.acsoutlet.com/A2309-Standard.aspx) - shipping yet to be
determined.

Buying four would cut a good amount off buying the two SuperMicro cages
I was considering, but the SuperMicro cages allow me five drives in the
space of three bays plus hot-swappability.

Tough choice, but I think the fact that I can only fit three of those
iCages in the tower cases I've been considering might end up being the
deciding factor.

Then also consider this one:
http://www.cooldrives.com/sainhosaraca.html

Holds up to four 3.5" SATA hard drives of any capacity
Data transfer rate of up to 150 MB/sec
Mounts easily into three 5.25" bay slots, increasing space efficiency by 25%
All aluminum construction for maximum durability and heat dissipation
80mm rear mounted ball-bearing fan to ensure all your hard drives remains cool
* Temperature sensor with audible alarm *
* LEDs continuously report hard drive and fan activity *
Supports RAID Hardware and Software applications

http://www.satagear.com/SATA-SRT43K_SATA_RACK_Case.html

[snip]

^^^Good idea. I remember looking at those myself.

I'm a bit concerned that they only have one fan and no temperature
warning system.

Yeah, that's quite likely what they mean by "Power control, sensor & alarm".
Makes sense.

One advantage of the low density iCages is that if the fan fails (and
good 120mm fans usually don't), your drives will probably be okay until
you notice the problem.

Even if a high density rack has a warning system, you need have some
sort of plan for a cooling failure (auto-shutdown, etc.) or your drives
will cook.

Yeah, obviously it has no "Power control, sensor & alarm" .

BR

Dave

Btw, babblehead, wasn't I in your killfile?

Old June 22nd 07, 02:33 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
rhd1953

I have had an Addonics SATA hot swap 4 drive bay (uses 3 5.25" slots)
for over 2 years, with a Netcell raid level 3 (protected) card (can't
find Netcell any more). NOTE: I had to 'flatten' drive guides in the
pc case's 5.25" bays so the drive bay housing would slide in.

1.) you can get an Addonics 5 drive bay ($130) from them, I assume it
also does a stagger start of the hard drives when you turn your pc on.
There is a cooling fan on the back of the drive bay housing and it does
keep all the drives cool.

2.) you want hot swap because a drive will drop out every 5-6 months
(I'm running SATA Seagate 250 GB w/8mb buffer drives). I initially had
5 Western Digital SATA 100 & 120 GB drives in a raid level 3 (like a
raid level 5) config. with the same problem.

3.) rebuilding a 250 GB drive will take +8 hours (if you have 465 GB of
files), you can access the files before or during recovery (this is a 3
drive @ 250 GB each config). Having fewer files/GBs makes the rebuild
faster.
My 465 GB of raid protected storage is rebuilt or resized fastest by
moving all files to a 500 GB drive and then performing the rebuild or
resizing.

4.) I have seen an 11 " each, case (midi size) for $85.00 at
Neo Computers. so they are out there.

5.) Western Digital has a stand-alone 1 TB network device (My Book)
which has 2 500 GB drives in series (they can be mirrored, for 500 GB
of protected storage). This device connects to a network port or a
pc's ethernet connection. You can access it in your home network or
thru the internet, if you want. Cost is $330 at Best Buy (when on
sale).

Just my experience at home (don't forget, use a power line regulator
for your pc's protection). Pc electronics are very sensitive to
voltage spikes and sags.

--
rhd1953
rhd1953's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/members/3966.htm