"PC Makers: We Need to Talk About the Boot Drive"

Old February 5th 19, 02:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default "PC Makers: We Need to Talk About the Boot Drive"

"PC Makers: We Need to Talk About the Boot Drive"
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/bo...ons,38555.html

"Boot drives rarely get the attention they deserve. The type and
capacity of your C: drive significantly affects how fast your system
boots, how quickly your programs load, and how long you have to spend
tapping your toe before you can actually get your game on."

Lynn
Old February 10th 19, 04:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 9:37:02 AM UTC+8, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"PC Makers: We Need to Talk About the Boot Drive"
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/bo...ons,38555.html

Ah, that article seems to suggest you need a big SSD, even with secondary hard
drive. Maybe for Windoze? I have built a dozen or so linux workstations with
a piddling 120 GB SATA SSD for root and swap and 4 or 5 GB hard drive for home.
Old February 11th 19, 08:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 2/9/2019 9:52 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 9:37:02 AM UTC+8, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"PC Makers: We Need to Talk About the Boot Drive"
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/bo...ons,38555.html

Ah, that article seems to suggest you need a big SSD, even with secondary hard
drive. Maybe for Windoze? I have built a dozen or so linux workstations with
a piddling 120 GB SATA SSD for root and swap and 4 or 5 GB hard drive for home.

The smallest SSD boot drive that I would put in a Windows box is a 512
GB for $68.
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-500...dp/B073SBZ8YH/

Lynn