Can't format 64 GB USB flash drives as FAT32?

Old November 29th 16, 05:13 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul[_28_]

Default Can't format 64 GB USB flash drives as FAT32?

On 2016-11-26 4:28 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Ed Mullen wrote:
On 11/25/2016 at 6:06 PM, Ant's prodigious digits fired off:
Hello.

I noticed both updated 64bit Windows 7 HPE SP1 & 10 EE won't let me
reformat my new 64 GB flash drives as FAT32 (default originally). Their
Explorers only gave me NTFS & exFAT. Why no old FAT32? Not everything
know exFAT & NTFS.

Thank you in adance.

http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/manage-partition/format-64gb-sd-card-to-fat32.html
I'd just format the sucker in Linux. ;-)
I've had a Linux format render some of my USB sticks unusable until they
were formatted properly in Windows. I'd suggest not bothering with Linux
when it comes to a USB key.

It has worked for me often enough, I formatted one with Linux about
a month ago. You're sure you didn't accidentally select a Linux file
system like ext4?

I did not.

You do know there's a difference between
USB flash stick support in Windows versus
Linux. When Linux uses MSDOS partitioning,
it can place up to four primary partitions
on a USB stick. However, if you plug the
stick into Windows, Windows only mounts
the first partition, ignoring the other three.
So if you use Linux to put four FAT32 partitions
on a stick, Windows only mounts the first one,
and you cannot "see" the other three.

Materials can also be placed on a USB stick,
without an MBR. That's another variant.

Just be careful with what you're doing, or
attempting to do.

*******

I keep a copy of the Cygwin version of "disktype"
on my Windows partition. The Linux distros have
"disktype" in package manager. This is very handy
for analyzing just exactly what you did. Then later,
you can make sense out of it, determine what each
OS supports, and so on. I used this the other
day on a Macintosh disk image, and it could even
tell me about the HFSPlus partitions on it. It
will also analyze an ISO9660 for you (like tell you
how a hybrid Linux LiveCD works).

http://disktype.sourceforge.net/

Paul
Old December 1st 16, 11:32 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Paul
escribió:

By going in there, I knew the dangers, but my assumption
was, that any sort of read-access would be "safe". I was
wrong. Big time wrong.

The answer is to mount the ntfs filesystem read-only.

mount -v -t ntfs -o ro /dev/foo /mnt/bar

Microsoft made subtle changes to ntfs between Win XP, Vista, 7, 8, and
now 10. It's antibody's guess whether third party NTFS drivers cater
for them all.

So if I had to go in there today, I would switch
from RW to RO before trying that again :-)

aye

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10