What are good 2TB drives these days?

Old November 9th 16, 01:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default What are good 2TB drives these days?

I got a 1TB drive in my system. It's had some recoverable bad sectors on
it already, and it's getting a little full anyways. So thinking of
upgrading and replacing it with a 2TB. Any specific brands or models to
avoid or to look for?

Yousuf Khan
Old November 9th 16, 07:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 11/9/2016 6:39 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
I got a 1TB drive in my system. It's had some recoverable bad sectors on it already, and it's getting a little full anyways. So
thinking of upgrading and replacing it with a 2TB. Any specific brands or models to avoid or to look for?

Yousuf Khan

I would put in a 4 TB WD Black. You never know when you need the space and bigger is always faster.
https://www.amazon.com/Performance-D...dp/B01GWS2ZOC/

Wait, does your motherboard and operating system support 4 GB drives ? You may be limited to a 2 TB drive.

Lynn
Old November 9th 16, 08:16 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Neill Massello[_3_]

Yousuf Khan wrote:

I got a 1TB drive in my system. It's had some recoverable bad sectors on
it already, and it's getting a little full anyways. So thinking of
upgrading and replacing it with a 2TB. Any specific brands or models to
avoid or to look for?

Currently, the brand with the best reputation is HGST. The worst,
Seagate. IMHO, WD currently provides the best bang for the buck.

Every manufacturer occasionally puts out a model that's a lemon. Before
you buy, read the user reviews at the larger retail sites such as Amazon
and Newegg.

Old November 9th 16, 10:15 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 11/09/2016 02:16 PM, Neill Massello wrote:

I got a 1TB drive in my system. It's had some recoverable bad sectors on
it already, and it's getting a little full anyways. So thinking of
upgrading and replacing it with a 2TB. Any specific brands or models to
avoid or to look for?

Currently, the brand with the best reputation is HGST. The worst,
Seagate. IMHO, WD currently provides the best bang for the buck.

Every manufacturer occasionally puts out a model that's a lemon. Before
you buy, read the user reviews at the larger retail sites such as Amazon
and Newegg.

I have 16 Seagate 2TB drives, some more than 5 years old, two of which
are warranty replacements.

I have 6 Seagate 6TB drives that have been running for almost 18 months
without a problem.

Seagate had a notoriously bad 3TB model a couple of years ago; other
than that they are pretty decent.

Some of the negative reviews on NewEgg and Amazon are because of the
vendor's slip-ups. And you name any brand, there are reviewers who will
never buy another one.

Perce

Old November 11th 16, 04:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 11/9/2016 1:08 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 11/9/2016 6:39 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
I got a 1TB drive in my system. It's had some recoverable bad sectors
on it already, and it's getting a little full anyways. So
thinking of upgrading and replacing it with a 2TB. Any specific brands
or models to avoid or to look for?

Yousuf Khan

I would put in a 4 TB WD Black. You never know when you need the space
and bigger is always faster.

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-D...dp/B01GWS2ZOC/

Wait, does your motherboard and operating system support 4 GB drives ?
You may be limited to a 2 TB drive.

Yeah, I already have a 3TB drive in it. I wanted to keep the cost below
Cdn$100.

Yousuf Khan

Old November 11th 16, 04:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

I have 16 Seagate 2TB drives, some more than 5 years old, two of which
are warranty replacements.

I have 6 Seagate 6TB drives that have been running for almost 18 months
without a problem.

Seagate had a notoriously bad 3TB model a couple of years ago; other
than that they are pretty decent.

Some of the negative reviews on NewEgg and Amazon are because of the
vendor's slip-ups. And you name any brand, there are reviewers who will
never buy another one.

Yes, I was thinking about their 3TB drive problems, have those been
fixed totally by now?
Old November 11th 16, 04:29 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 11/11/2016 10:09 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:

I have 16 Seagate 2TB drives, some more than 5 years old, two of which
are warranty replacements.

I have 6 Seagate 6TB drives that have been running for almost 18 months
without a problem.

Seagate had a notoriously bad 3TB model a couple of years ago; other
than that they are pretty decent.

Some of the negative reviews on NewEgg and Amazon are because of the
vendor's slip-ups. And you name any brand, there are reviewers who will
never buy another one.

Yes, I was thinking about their 3TB drive problems, have those been
fixed totally by now?

I don't know about the 3TB drives. Maybe they revised the original
product and kept the same Model#, or maybe they changed the Model# by a
digit or two. They just came out with a whole new series of drives,
including the 3TB ST3000DM008:

http://www.seagate.com/www-content/p...0-3-1608us.pdf

Perce

Old November 11th 16, 10:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Neill Massello[_3_]

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Some of the negative reviews on NewEgg and Amazon are because of the
vendor's slip-ups. And you name any brand, there are reviewers who will
never buy another one.

Right. That's why, rather than just glancing at the ratings, you should
read the reviews, especially the most negative ones, to see if the
reviewer really knows what he's talking about or is just having a
tantrum for some reason, like getting a drive that's DOA. Stuff happens,
even to the best manufacturers and retailers.

Old November 13th 16, 06:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

"Neill Massello" wrote in message
Yousuf Khan wrote:

I got a 1TB drive in my system. It's had some recoverable bad sectors on
it already, and it's getting a little full anyways. So thinking of
upgrading and replacing it with a 2TB. Any specific brands or models to
avoid or to look for?

Currently, the brand with the best reputation is HGST. The worst,
Seagate. IMHO, WD currently provides the best bang for the buck.

Every manufacturer occasionally puts out a model that's a lemon. Before
you buy, read the user reviews at the larger retail sites such as Amazon
and Newegg.

I didn’t fine that approach very useful when buying an 8TB external
recently.

Very large number of 1 star reviews with nasty things to say about
reliability with all the drives and very few reviews at all with HGST.

So I decided to take a punt with Seagate, mainly because they had
bought the hard drive operation of Samsung who I had had a very
good result with up till then, hoping I might get a Samsung with a
Seagate brand on it now. Havent had any problems with it, but that
doesn’t prove a damned thing. Havent been game to open it up
and see if it’s a Samsung given that will void the warranty.