What's a good portable reliable external 2.5" USB HDD to get thesedays?

Old August 19th 16, 02:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

Default What's a good portable reliable external 2.5" USB HDD to get thesedays?

Hello.

It looks like this 6 years old 500 GB Seagate FreeAgent Go HDD is dying
according to GMsmartControl v0.8.7's extended test results on a very
old, updated Windows XP Pro SP3 (couldn't do SMART tests on 2 MBPs):
http://paste2.org/z1Kv4Vpk ...

Are there any current good low cost ones from local CA(lifornia) stores
(WalMart, Costco, Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, etc.) in Los Angeles
(LA), Orange County (OC), etc. to buy/purchase quickly?
http://www.salescircular.com/ca/computer/hdiskp.shtml is outdated (no
updates for this week). The new HDD will be mainly used for light
portability, backups, and storages. It needs to be able to handle
multiple partitions' file systems (MS' FAT and Apple's encrypted HFS
including its Time Machine) and various computers (Macs and PCs with
Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux).

Thank you in advance.
--
"Do not kill ants. They are your best friends." --Joe Brainard
this signature correctly.
Old August 20th 16, 02:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Robert Nichols[_2_]

On 08/19/2016 08:54 AM, Ant wrote:
Hello.

It looks like this 6 years old 500 GB Seagate FreeAgent Go HDD is dying
according to GMsmartControl v0.8.7's extended test results on a very
old, updated Windows XP Pro SP3 (couldn't do SMART tests on 2 MBPs):
http://paste2.org/z1Kv4Vpk ...

That report shows a seldom used drive (only 100 hours on the clock) in
excellent condition (no bad sectors). The most recent self test was
aborted by the host, not by the drive, when the test was 90% complete.
If those large raw numbers for the various "..._Rate" attributes (1, 7,
195) are bothering you, know that those are normal for Seagate drives.
See http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/Seagate_SER_RRER_HEC.html and
various other search results for seagate+error+rate.

Old August 20th 16, 08:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

In alt.comp.periphs.hdd Robert Nichols wrote:
On 08/19/2016 08:54 AM, Ant wrote:
Hello.

It looks like this 6 years old 500 GB Seagate FreeAgent Go HDD is dying
according to GMsmartControl v0.8.7's extended test results on a very
old, updated Windows XP Pro SP3 (couldn't do SMART tests on 2 MBPs):
http://paste2.org/z1Kv4Vpk ...

That report shows a seldom used drive (only 100 hours on the clock) in
excellent condition (no bad sectors). The most recent self test was
aborted by the host, not by the drive, when the test was 90% complete.
If those large raw numbers for the various "..._Rate" attributes (1, 7,
195) are bothering you, know that those are normal for Seagate drives.
See http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/Seagate_SER_RRER_HEC.html and
various other search results for seagate+error+rate.

Thanks. I wonder why it got aborted during the extended tests.
--
Quote of the Week: "I've been on some fairways that are as good as the
greens we putted on back then. We had crab grass. I remember one green
Old August 21st 16, 03:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Robert Nichols[_2_]

On 08/20/2016 02:44 PM, Ant wrote:
In alt.comp.periphs.hdd Robert Nichols wrote:
That report shows a seldom used drive (only 100 hours on the clock) in
excellent condition (no bad sectors). The most recent self test was
aborted by the host, not by the drive, when the test was 90% complete.
If those large raw numbers for the various "..._Rate" attributes (1, 7,
195) are bothering you, know that those are normal for Seagate drives.
See http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/Seagate_SER_RRER_HEC.html and
various other search results for seagate+error+rate.

Thanks. I wonder why it got aborted during the extended tests.

I can only guess, but a couple of possibilities a

1. The drive took a bit longer than the reported 138 minutes for the
test, and GMsmartControl got impatient. (I have no idea whether
GMsmartControl actually does that.)

2. The external enclosure decided the drive was idle and told it to
spin down.

I've seen drives that will abort a self test when any new SMART command
is received, so just querying the drive to see if the test has completed
will cause it to abort.

That completion percentage is typically reported in 10% increments, so
the test might actually have been 99.9% complete when it was aborted.