"Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2016"

Old August 2nd 16, 06:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

Default "Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2016"

"Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2016"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...rates-q2-2016/

"Q2 2016 saw Backblaze: introduce 8TB drives into our drive mix, kickoff a pod-to-vault migration of over 6.5 Petabytes of data,
cross over 250 Petabytes of data stored, and deploy another 7,290 drives into the data center for a total of 68,813 spinning hard
drives under management. With all the ins-and-outs let’s take a look at how our hard drives fared in Q2 2016."

I am continuing to stay away from Seagates for now. WDC are beginning to worry me also. Of course, Backblaze is a very harsh
environment.

The HGST drives are looking freaking awesome. Aren't those the old IBM drives that had glass platters with the magic pixie dust for
a while ?

Lynn
Old August 2nd 16, 11:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Neill Massello[_3_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

I am continuing to stay away from Seagates for now. WDC are beginning

" to worry me also. Of course, Backblaze is a very harsh
environment.

Also note the wide variation in numbers between different drive models
and brands. Half the 68,813 drives in the first chart are a single model
of 4TB Seagate. The Western Digitals are only 2.5 percent of the total,
and the Toshibas less than half a percent.

The HGST drives are looking freaking awesome. Aren't those the old
IBM drives that had glass platters with the magic pixie dust for
a while ?

Same brand, but that was about 15 years ago, when the IBM 75GXP failed
so early and so often that it became known as the Deathstar. Before then
and since, IBM and its successors (Hitachi/HGST) have generally produced
the industry's most reliable drives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HGST_Deskstar#IBM_Deskstar_75GXP_failures

Old August 2nd 16, 11:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

On 8/2/2016 5:01 PM, Neill Massello wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:

[...]

I know way too well about the DeathStars as my shop owned several of them.

Lynn

Old August 3rd 16, 04:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Lynn McGuire wrote:

[...]

I had one at my former employer.
--
Quote of the Week: "Ants can destroy a tree. Therefore this ant can destroy a tree." --Logic & Fallacy
| |o o| |
Old August 11th 16, 10:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Lynn McGuire wrote

"Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2016"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...rates-q2-2016/

"Q2 2016 saw Backblaze: introduce 8TB drives into our drive mix, kickoff a
pod-to-vault migration of over 6.5 Petabytes of data, cross over 250
Petabytes of data stored, and deploy another 7,290 drives into the data
center for a total of 68,813 spinning hard drives under management. With
all the ins-and-outs let’s take a look at how our hard drives fared in Q2
2016."

I am continuing to stay away from Seagates for now.

I have just got one Seagate 8TB external after being quite
put off by the 1 star ratings on Amazon and Newegg with
all drives available, didn’t have any real choice given that
I avoid WDC because they are unrecoverable if they go bad.

Seagate did take over Samsung which was my previous preferred
but its unlikely that I got a Samsung drive given that they were
always later to market with the biggest buyable drives.

Its been working fine. Pathetically inadequate sample tho.

WDC are beginning to worry me also.

It always has worried me.

Of course, Backblaze is a very harsh environment.

Less harsh than most domestic environments.

The HGST drives are looking freaking awesome.

Yeah, but not very easy to find in the retail market.

Aren't those the old IBM drives that had glass platters with the magic
pixie dust for a while ?

Same brand, yep. Clearly they did get their act into gear.

Old August 12th 16, 12:08 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

On 8/11/2016 4:01 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

Backblaze has a self admitted heat problem with putting 48 ??? drives in the same box. They have lots of fans but, hard drives do
not like heat.

Lynn
Old August 12th 16, 12:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Lynn McGuire wrote
[...]

In fact the backblaze data shows that they
don’t mind heat within reasonable limits.