Crash - is it my G400?

Old December 6th 04, 09:36 AM

Default Crash - is it my G400?

BACKGROUND
I'm upgrading from Pentium3 Win98 to AMD64 WinXP. Full specs below.
I've got the new hardware in and XP installed and I've started loading
software.

PROBLEM
The PC resets after logging me in. It boots OK to the XP welcome
screen, where I choose one of my two user accounts. It loads my
personal settings, brings up the desktop and the sys tray starts
filling up. Then it resets and reboots. I think it reboots as soon as
it's finished starting up.

Obviously there are many possible causes, so I'm trying to eliminate
them one by one.

I will be getting a new graphics card soon, but in the meantime I've
stuck in my old Matrox Millenium G400. I think this is an AGPx1 card,
but the motherboard board is AGPx8. Is it possible this is making the
system unstable? Should I remove it?

HARDWARE SPECS
Asus K8V-X motherboard
AMD64 3400 (retail w/ AMD heatsink + fan)
1gb PC3200 Crucial RAM
500w PSU (AMD approved)
*Creative Soundblaster Live!
*Matrox Millenium G400
*Diamond Supra internal PCI modem
External broadband USB modem

SOFTWARE SPECS
Win Xp w/ Service Pack 2
Nero 6
Norton Anti-Virus 2003
Winzip 9
Spybot Search & Destroy
Zonealarm Pro with web filtering
*hardware with asterisk is old (5 years), the rest is new.

Old December 6th 04, 04:54 PM
Tod

My dad's computer is running Win XP PRO with a Matrox G400 16MB card.
And it's very stable
The very first Matrox G400s first came out AGP X1,X2
Most G400s support AGP X1, X2, X4
99.9% of AGP X8 motherboards also support AGP X4
If you getting to the desktop, then rebooting
I would say there is a driver conflict somewhere.

Also check every setting in the bios, turn off anything you do not use,
like parallel or serial ports, built in sound, power saving, etc

ups.com...

Old December 8th 04, 10:16 AM

I found the problem. Zonealarm. I suspect the version I was trying to
install was too old and was incompatible.
The G400 works fine. It's been a very stable card for 5 years. But it's
time to upgrade to a Radeon 9800XT
Cheers for your response, Tod.

Old December 8th 04, 06:32 PM
Tod

I use to use a Matrox G400.
But I'm very happy with my ATI 9600 PRO AIW

oups.com...