Dual Core cpu 2 SLi 6800 GTs, will this be gaming bliss ?

Old January 8th 05, 10:17 AM
The Other Guy.

Default Dual Core cpu 2 SLi 6800 GTs, will this be gaming bliss ?

I suppose they must start making games that support dual core cpus
right ?? everyone game should right ?

Would love to get a dual core mobo 2 cpu slots, thus 4 cpus, i bet
Tyran will do one

That and 2 Sli vid cards i think it would be sweet, also some DDr3
memory 3 gigs ?

What do you think will this happen

Thanks.

Old January 8th 05, 11:09 AM

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:17:39 +1100, The Other Guy. wrote:

I suppose they must start making games that support dual core cpus
right ?? everyone game should right ?

Would love to get a dual core mobo 2 cpu slots, thus 4 cpus, i bet
Tyran will do one

That and 2 Sli vid cards i think it would be sweet, also some DDr3
memory 3 gigs ?

What do you think will this happen

Thanks.

Look at the gross out prices for the MBs , Vid cards etc now I dont
even want to think what the mem is going to cost. And frankly I dont
see any games that need it now. Games drive the gear like Doom3 and
Halflife are doing for the 6800s and other new generation cards. Most
people besides the hardcore types dont even have that yet.

Now if some new ground breaking game that needed that gear came out
then you might actually see growing enthusiasm to upgrade more. I
wouldnt mind seeing environments that are a magniture even richer
looking than they are now, widescreen panels - maybe even multiple
panels that surround you. And of course lots of quick moving detailed
complex figures on screen with complex AI.

Maybe they can start a HOME GAME ROOM craze like the Home Theater
craze where people spend tens of thou or even several hundred to have
a room modeled for acoustics and all that. In a game room they make it
all dark with mood lighting that changes with the game , sound proof
so there are distractions and maybe even temperature and full home
theater level environmental sound reproduction. In the acoustically
modeled room there would be a game seating module with the surrounding
panels etc. Hey why not go all the way and have a machine that lifts
the seat in the air and moves it around? So it simulates flight and
car movement to some degree ?

I have to admit though some costs are gross right now --- some are
getting really reasonable. Im about to buy my new system as soon as
parts are in stock. The AMD chip and a few boards are close to
reasonable in price already. My beef - whats with the shortages
delays with nforce4 motherboards? Many arent in stock. And whats with
the ATI vaporware? They are listed in the WIRED top ten vaporware list
for their poor performance in delivering various models to the mkt and
whats with the 800XL that was so hyped???? I dont see any sign of it.
Theres a hole thats huge just waiting for bungling ATI to get back
into the game finally --- Nvidia seems on a roll but then screws
themselves by having 6600 GTs priced decently but a huge gap between
that and the low 6800s. The 6800s are going for ridiculous prices
except for the deep discount sales on GTs once in a while. If the
800XL sells even for $299 and then they come out with a 128 meg
version to fill that hole between $180-240 - I know Im buying it.

Instead of having a decently priced plain old 6800 128 meg PCI express
for $200-230 they are leaving a big hole there for ATI to clean up.
Frankly I cant even find a PCI express 6800 and even the AGP are going
for ridiculous prices. You have to go down to the 6600 or go way up to
the 6800GT.

Old January 8th 05, 11:59 AM
kony

wrote:

I suppose they must start making games that support dual core cpus
right ?? everyone game should right ?

Would love to get a dual core mobo 2 cpu slots, thus 4 cpus, i bet
Tyran will do one

That and 2 Sli vid cards i think it would be sweet, also some DDr3
memory 3 gigs ?

What do you think will this happen

Thanks.

Beyond a power trip, wouldn't it just be $2K spent on parts
that'll look sluggish again in 2 years time? Typically the
video card(s) will need replaced, 2 x dual-core CPUs
shouldn't make a lot of difference, certainly not as much as
tweaking out a motherboard and memory for maximum bus rates.
Old January 8th 05, 06:52 PM
kony

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 03:34:20 +1100, The Other Guy.
wrote:

I beleive the time dual cpus come out all games will support it as
well as appilcations.

All games and applications?

How many support P4's HT right now?
How many support 2 CPUs right now? SMP isn't "new".
How many support SSE2, SSE3?
How many even have Athlon optimizations?

Some do, most don't.
When dual CPUs come out, they'll be expensive. The majority
of gamers won't have them so the target market isn't there.

Game development takes many months, years... they won't have
any working samples of the CPUs until they come out, there's
no way to put the cart before the horse.

Dual core CPUs are not some grand advantage as you'd
believe. One can already buy a dual CPU system... it's
slower at gaming. AMD & Intel are moving to dual CPUs not
for a performance advantage per se, but because they need it
due to inability to keep ramping up CPU speeds with present
technology.
Old January 9th 05, 05:07 AM

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:04:03 GMT, theyak wrote:

I think it will be irrelevant for gaming as very very few games can use
multiple processors. But hey, if you want to spend 3 grand every year to
upgrade your gaming system, then more power to you.

Someone posted that AMD prices were going down again later this month
or so.

Also there are very few nforce boards and it seems like some Nvidia
and ATI chips/boards are kind in a tight supply situation. If that
clears up there could be cheap lower end 6800 , 800XLs maybe 128 meg
versions down to $200 and a lot nforce4 boards down to $100-120. They
were actually down to 116 initially at some places but prices are
crazy now. There seems to be shortages on various things pushing
prices up and down. The Gigabyte board was around 120 something then
it went up to 135-175 at various places! The 3000 939 chip was 149 at
newegg then they jacked it up to 175 ! Then they lowered it to 156 I
think all within two months ! Nutty !

Also 6800 AGP prices were really going down in Dec and now they are
jacked up sky high. You cant even find a PCI express version unless
its taken from a DELL .

Right now SLI boards are $200+. If SLI boards fell to 130 then I can
see some hardcore gamers buying two 6600GTs if they were 120-150 or
so. That puts the whole package into a non-nutso range. I can even see
some buying some GTs for $250 for bragging rights. I think its nuts
though but many would a SLI and one GT which would be in the OK range
and then just see $250 or maybe even lower later as just like
upgrading to a faster vid card a few months later especially if
someone did a deep discount rebate sale like on black friday next yr.
If a new game that needed super heavy duty graphic power came out then
I could see it pushing sales to some extent.

But whats with the shortages? Is the tsunami affecting anything? Are
they just experiencing the usual delays ramping up production? Is the
fact they have to ramp up nforce4 production and the relatively new
6800 and other lines AND working on supposedly a new PS3 game console
for Sony just spreading them too thin? And ATI is supposedly working
with MS for the new Xbox2 thats supposed to be out at the end of this
year Ive read.

Dual Core Processors & MoBo k_yhz General 2 January 5th 05 08:43 PM
HyperThreading dual core cpu will their be one ??? The Other Guy. General 0 November 26th 04 09:40 PM
Quad Cpu Mobo with Dual Core CPUS how fast would that be ? We Live for the One we Die for the One General 0 June 14th 04 10:16 PM
Dual CPU Steve Schooler General 6 March 14th 04 10:53 PM
Mushkin PC3200 1Gb Dual Packs from Fry's DW General 3 September 24th 03 10:37 AM