Boot Failure 700xl

Old November 16th 03, 09:17 PM
Don Crano

Default Boot Failure 700xl

Computer is a 700xl 2.4gig p4 1gig of RDram.

I added a second WD 120gig HD and now the system will fail to boot from a
cold start.

It appears that BIOS will not properly config drive (0) the orginal drive.
When I first installed the second drive, drive (1), bios found it and
properly auto configed for it. System booted properly, and Win XP found it,
and let me apply signature, partion, and format it. Looking at MMC, says
both drives are healthy, and drive C (0) is the boot or system drive.

Closed up the case, rebooted and all was well, no problems at all, and
diskmanager still states both drives are healthy.

After a while, had some other things to do, so let system go into standby. A
few hours later, when I went to wake the computer up, it would not relog
back into XP. Did a reboot and got a boot failure from BIOS. Tried several
times with no luck. Booted from WD's floppy and everything checked out ok,
did a reboot and the system properly booted.

Tried several cold boots after that and all was again proper, and boot was
fine in each case. Shut the system down over night, and again at first cold
boot got the boot failure message from BIOS. This time I rebooted from the
WIN XP CD, and let it load up, then cancel instead of install or repair.
Rebooted and all was ok again.

This seems to be consistant factor, let the system off or in standby for
several hours, and it will fail to boot, boot from either CD or Floppy, no
action just let it boot, then I can reboot the system and all is fine.

Only difference I can find, using the tab key to look at what BIOS is doing,
is the following difference.
When the system will boot properly, drive (0) is set to PIO Mode 4
When the system will fail to boot, drive (0) is set to PIO Mode 0
Drive (1), the new drive is always set to PIO Mode 4

Any help, suggestions, or work arounds would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in Advance!
Don

Old November 17th 03, 12:21 AM
Edward J. Neth

Is the drive jumpered properly (most likely cable select; match the setting
on the original drive)?

Old November 17th 03, 01:01 AM
Don Crano

Thanks for the reply Ed;

Yes both drives are set to Cable Select. The orginal was/is set that way,
and that is the way I set the second drive to also. I was wondering if I
should set the jumpers to Master/Slave and see if that helps? The other
thing is I could set BIOS to user defined instead of Auto.

Don

--

Remember Always Have Fun and Enjoy!,
Don Crano Akron, Oh NMRA #096211

. com...

Old November 17th 03, 06:33 AM
PC Gladiator

Did you double check all the cable and power connections especially at the
motherboard? Many times when putting in new drives or repositioning the
cables, they get pulled up a little or up on one end.

news

Old November 17th 03, 05:51 PM
Don Crano

Thanks for the reply;

Double checked, and checked again, the 80 conductor and power cables.

So far have tried: Setting drive jumpers from cable select to Master/Slave,
setting bios from Auto to User set up. And as noted went over all cabling.

Results are still the same. Boots fine first time after any or all the above
changes. Drive (0) is properly detected by bios. Win Xp runs fine, and both
drives appear to be proper in Win Xp.

Shut system down, or place in standby for approx. 1 hour or more, and bios
ends with a boot failure error. Depending on which setup used from above,
either PIO mode ends up 0, instead of mode 4, or drive ID is wrong, instead
of WD1200BB, it is ID'ed as WD1200@B either case results in the BIOS error,
Boot Failure showing.

When the boot failure error happens, found the following will correct it:
1) reboot from another device, either floppy or CD. Do not have to load or
execute any apps, just let it boot. Re-boot and system will boot properly
again, till it is shut down or in standby for 1 hour or more, then it
happens again.
2) takes longer, but also found that let it set at boot error for approx.
10 - 15 min. Then cold boot system and it will boot properly again till shut
down.

I have installed a few HD's over the years, but this one is new to me. Never
had a system act this way before.

About the only thing I can think of to try next is pick up another 80
conductor cable and try it. After that, I guess the next would be to swap
drives and make the new drive the boot drive and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies, and am still open to ideas or suggestions!

Don

Old November 18th 03, 02:39 AM
Don Crano

Yes ran the WD Diagnostics when I first had the problem, came back with no
problems found, it was the WD disk that lead me to find that all I had to do
was boot from another device first, to be able to boot from the HD.

I think we may have found the problem. I replaced the 80 conductor cable
with a new one, and so far the system has booted properly each time, even
after being shut down for more then 2 hours. It would appear, note I say
appear because have not had enough time to truely verify it was the problem,
that the orginal cable was ok with a single HD, but does not work properly
with a second HD added to it.

Thanks to all for the help!