How to copy photos from videos?

Old February 23rd 16, 08:29 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
what@.

Default How to copy photos from videos?

I use LView to copy and crop and re-size photos and it works great for almost
everything. It even works great for Youtube videos. But when I try doing it with
videos I play using Windows Media Player at first it looks like it did the job,
but then when I select an area and choose copy and they try to paste it
someplace like a Wordpad document, it's pastes nothing like the area I selected.
On top of that it's not solid like all the other photos are, but the image sort
of slides around inside the window frame or something...I don't know how to
describe it. After much hunting and sniffing around I finally came across GOM
Media player, and from that I can get photos like normal and like from Youtube.
BUT! The GOM player is not dependable and often will only play part of a video,
and not always the same part either. Sometimes it will play up to a certain
point and stop (sometimes only a small portion), and sometimes it won't play the
beginning of something but jump in wherever it decides to. Sometimes there's no
option to move forward or back in the video. Can anyone suggest something that's
more dependable?

Thanks for any help!
David
Old February 23rd 16, 08:47 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

what@. wrote:
[...]

FFMPEG.

For Windows, you can get a 32-bit static build or a 64-bit one,
depending on your OS. For other OSes, check the package manager.
A static build, means all the dependencies are in the exe already.
The exe is very large, but that's not a big deal.

http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

FFMPEG can convert movies into nothing but images.
I chose .ppm in this case, to avoid quality loss.
It's a very wasteful format, so you need lots of disk
space. It's as bad as .bmp .

C:\FFMPEG\bin\ffmpeg -i F:\high.mp4 -f image2 -c:v ppm a%05d.ppm

You can also take a folder full of images, and make
a video stream out of it. I probably should have set
the frame rate on this, and this was probably a movie I
was going to throw into avidemux to get a frame number,
so I'd know which image to grab.

C:\FFMPEG\bin\ffmpeg -i a%05d.ppm -c:v mpeg4 -qscale:v 1 out.avi

VLC player is also a Swiss Army knife of sorts, and can
do all sorts of stuff. I don't know if it picks out frames for
you or not. But it at least plays and converts a lot of
stuff.

Have fun,
Paul
Old February 24th 16, 12:56 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 15:29:46 -0500, what@. wrote:

| I use LView to copy and crop and re-size photos and it works great for almost
| everything. It even works great for Youtube videos. But when I try doing it with
| videos I play using Windows Media Player at first it looks like it did the job,
| but then when I select an area and choose copy and they try to paste it
| someplace like a Wordpad document, it's pastes nothing like the area I selected.
| On top of that it's not solid like all the other photos are, but the image sort
| of slides around inside the window frame or something...I don't know how to
| describe it. After much hunting and sniffing around I finally came across GOM
| Media player, and from that I can get photos like normal and like from Youtube.
| BUT! The GOM player is not dependable and often will only play part of a video,
| and not always the same part either. Sometimes it will play up to a certain
| point and stop (sometimes only a small portion), and sometimes it won't play the
| beginning of something but jump in wherever it decides to. Sometimes there's no
| option to move forward or back in the video. Can anyone suggest something that's
| more dependable?
|
| Thanks for any help!
| David

Daum Potplayer handles that job very well. It will record the actual video as well
as individual and consecutive images.

https://potplayer.daum.net/

Larc