How Move OS XP from Old to New HD?

Old January 12th 04, 06:10 PM
Timothy Daniels

"Rod Speed" claimed:
Timothy Daniels wrote in
message ...

1) I have never used a "ute" other than MS's Disk Manager
(to remove partitions) and Drive Image (to clone a drive).

What did you do when the clone wouldnt boot ?

I used a different channel combination to do the copy.
I had 4 IDE channels available - 2 ATA/133 channels on
a PCI controller card, 2 ATA/33 channels on the mobo.
Each could take either one or two HDDs. Copying from
one PCI card channel to another card channel, copying
from Master to Slave on a single card channel, copying
from one mobo channel to another all wouldn't work.
Only copying from Master to Slave on the same mobo
channel would produce a bootable drive.
PowerQuest/ Symantec tech reps had no idea why, but
guessed that it had to do with the slower speed of the mobo.
Why this only affects bootability and not file accessability
is unanswered, but once the bootable drive is produced and
booted alone once, the drive can be booted from any
channel - alone or in a pair. Basicly, the copy would only
work as advertized when done in the most common way.

*TimDaniels*

How to move a hard drive? Jobe General 3 March 1st 04 11:42 AM
external 56k modem-doesn't move for long time periods Jin General 0 January 7th 04 08:34 AM
[HELP] I did a wrong move... Stefano \Dr. Tofu\ Gigante Overclocking AMD Processors 0 December 10th 03 09:15 PM
Need to move HD to new computer - how? PlucknGro Homebuilt PC's 6 September 19th 03 02:44 PM
Mouse doesn't move byteryder General 3 July 5th 03 11:54 PM