Desperately need help installing OS with RAID on an Intel mobo

Old December 24th 03, 11:13 PM
Nate

Default Desperately need help installing OS with RAID on an Intel mobo

Hello all,

First off please don't be offended by my cross posting. I am in desperate
need of help here. I need to have this new system rolling for a Xmas
present for my Dad.

Here's what I got. I just purchased a new motherboard from www.newegg.com.
An Intel D845PESV. I have a HighPoint RocketRAID 404 RAID card to use with
it, and 2 WD SE 80GB HD's. I have confirmed that the RAID Controller,
cables, and HD's are all in working order by testing them on an ASUS P4B533
after my troubles starting popping up.

Here is the problem. With the RAID controller and drive connected to the
brand new Intel board, I can no longer use PowerQuest Partition Magic 8.0 to
create the partitions on the HD's. I get an error #88 (specified drive
cannot be found). This works just fine on the ASUS board. So I tried to
use my Windows XP disk to create the partitions during the install. It
seemed to work, and install began. I hit F6 when prompted to load support
for the RAID controller. Setup copied its' needed files to the RAID array.
Once it gets to the point where setup needs to reboot, the system will
reboot, and automatically start the setup again from the beginning. It
doesn't pause like with the ASUS boards requiring a key to be pushed to boot
from the CD. So it just keeps looping Windows XP setup. When I go into the
BIOS and disable CD-ROM boot so setup will stop looping, this new board
refuses to boot from the RAID1 HD's to continue the setup. Now this may be
because I couldn't use Partition Magic to set the 1st primary partition as
active. I had hoped maybe the Windows XP setup would do this when I created
the partitions. The RAID controller's BIOS is configured properly. The
RAID1 array is set to boot. Everything looks fine in the RAID controller's
BIOS.

In closing, how the heck do I install Windows XP on this system using a RAID
array?

If I can't boot from a RAID array, then these Intel mobo's are junk, and I
will never, ever buy one again. This board had great customer reviews on
the newegg site. I will be sure to post my unkind review on this board at
the newegg site if I can't get this working. :-)

Thanks for any help,
Nate

Old December 25th 03, 12:04 AM
Ray

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:13:05 -0700, Nate wrote:
When I go into the BIOS and disable CD-ROM boot so setup will stop
looping, this new board refuses to boot from the RAID1 HD's to continue
the setup. Now this may be because I couldn't use Partition Magic to set
the 1st primary partition as active. I had hoped maybe the Windows XP
setup would do this when I created the partitions. The RAID controller's
BIOS is configured properly. The RAID1 array is set to boot. Everything
looks fine in the RAID controller's BIOS.

The boot options (in your MB bios, not RAID bios) may have "scsi" or
"external" as boot options in addition to floppy, cd, ide0 etc. Try this
setting in place of IDE0.

--
Ray
Old December 25th 03, 12:55 AM
DaveW

You'll have to use XP to FDISK and Format the drives. My guess as to the
problem you're having is that you missed a step. When installing XP, early
on in the install you are asked to press one of the F Keys (it'll say which)
if you want to install any 3rd Party Drivers from a Floppy. Press the F Key
and then place a Floppy, onto which you have copied the RAID driver from
your motherboard's Installation CD, into the floppy drive. Then continue
the installation process.

Hope this helps

--
DaveW

Old December 25th 03, 02:33 AM
Nate

I did that part. F6 to install 3rd party mass storage drivers. It don't
work with this Intel mobo.

Thanks for the reply,
Nate

Old December 25th 03, 02:36 AM
Nate

There were no other options. There are no HD's connected to the onboard IDE
channels. The 2 HD's are connected to the Raid Controller. I had it set to
boot from floppy 1st, CD-rom 2nd, Raid controller 3rd. It looks like I'm
screwed.

Thanks for the reply,
Nate

Old December 25th 03, 03:16 AM
'Show

Try newer drivers?
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/brr404.htm

Old December 25th 03, 05:30 AM
Fitz

In your post, you didn't mention that you had created the RAID array prior
to trying to install XP w/ the RAID drivers. I've never used an IDE RAID
(only SATA). On the system I just built, I had to create the array through
the motherboard BIOS first, then use the XP disk to format the drives and
install the RAID drivers (F6).

Good Luck,
Fitz

Old December 25th 03, 11:00 AM
Nate

Thanks for the reply.

I did that first before anything else. I created a RAID1 mirror array
before I ever attempted to load XP.

Thanks,
Nate

Old December 25th 03, 11:02 AM
Nate

Allready got them. v3.03. That's what I'm using.

Thanks for the reply,
Nate

Old December 25th 03, 07:25 PM
Largo

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:13:05 -0700, "Nate" wrote:

Any luck yet?

I have an onboard controller and had this trouble recently with two
new SCSI drives attempting to clean install W2K on RAID 0. My
solution was indirect but worked. You'll need an extra scsi drive and
won't need Partition Magic.

Connect the new drive and install the OS on it. You may need scsi
drivers to do this. They're on the disk that came with the
motherboard. Once that's working, create the array and initialize
your new drives, (array-volume). Boot into the OS with the single
drive again and review if the array is visible to the OS. This step
weeds out any termination or cable problems because you know if it
"sees" the array volume, it works. Format the new volume. Those
large drives will take a while. I don't think format matters even if
it's just unallocated space but I did it anyway to be sure.

Reset the boot order in the array config/setup. My array config was
on a separate boot floppy. Install the OS CDROM and boot from it,
push F6 and add the array driver. The OS startup should initialize
and indicate all the drives or arrays to install the new OS. If your
array's listed along with the single SCSI you loaded earlier, tell it
to load onto the array, and then follow all the steps it recommends,
like format, etc. That worked for me. Remove the old SCSI drive if
desired.

Good Luck,
Largo