D420 bizarre Connections Tray crash

Old May 18th 08, 02:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mwmcca

Default D420 bizarre Connections Tray crash

I have (what I feel) is a bizarre problem with my D420 laptop.

In only one location around the world, the Connections Tray hangs
within minutes of connecting to wireless network.

Literally, I travel all over the world and have no significant issues
with my wireless - airports, hotels, coffee shops, factories, offices,
my house, etc. Locations such as Singapore, China, Saudi Arabia, UK,
etc.

However, twice a month I must travel to a specific building in the
Mid-west for 16 hours of meetings with 33 other individuals (all with
laptops). They all have no issues. My system Connections Tray hangs
and the WiFi light goes out on the keyboard in random intervals from 1 -
10 minutes. This is absolutely maddening! Others in the room include
D410 and D430 (as well as a broad assortment of other models and
makers).

Why is it only this wireless system? and why is this only my computer?

I have the Intel Wireless card.
I have tried:
-updating all drivers
- scanning for malware
-windows and intel ProSet controlling wireless card
-establishing fixed IP address for this system
-increasing TCP/IP connections from 10 - 50

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Old May 18th 08, 05:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"mwmcca" wrote in message

[...]

Are you allowing Windows or the Intel PROset application to control your
connections? If it the latter, I would suppose you've already
deleted/re-created any profile originally set up for this location?

Which specific Intel card do you have? I'm sure you've confirmed
compatibilty (A/B/G) with the source signal. ?

If you can identify another co-worker with the same card in the same/similar
laptop, have you attempted to mimick their settings?

You could have the card replaced under warranty, but given that the problem
is limited to this specific location only that would seem to be a fruitless
exercise.

I wonder if this is not a power management issue (card disabling itself), or
a security software or card timeout software setting......unlikely that it's
a source signal strength issue.

I'd find someone with the same card and mimick settings while noting any
differences (if any) in security softwares between the two systems.

Old May 19th 08, 08:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fixer

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
. ..

"mwmcca" wrote in message

[...]

I think if memory serves correctly that there is a patch on Dells site for
all Intel WiFi cards, that operate in Japan/USA and a different one for
EMEA countries, which i think has something to do with the signals
emmitted.

Old May 19th 08, 11:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Trooper

In article ,
lid says...

[...]

Can't help you, but I can share your pain. I get a regular connections
tray crash on my D620 that I have never been able to fix, with the same
symptoms as yours. I've tried everything possible software and settings
wise with little success and have come to the conclusion that it is a
hardware problem. I should send it of to get fixed at some point, but
it only happens once a week or so for me and I just live with it!

T.
Old May 19th 08, 03:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Trooper" wrote in message
g...
In article ,
lid says...

[...]

What wireless card is in your D620? Dell or Intel and what model number?

Old May 19th 08, 03:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Trooper

In article ,
says...

What wireless card is in your D620? Dell or Intel and what model number?

Intel PRO 3945ABG

T.
Old May 20th 08, 03:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mwmcca[_2_]

Yep - my D420 has the same Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG
I've downloaded all applicable driver updates. The latest one offered
by dell is rev 11.5.0.32 dated 9/26/2007.

I have had the IntelPro set and Windows manage the wireles card. I
have deleted the profile on numerous occasions.

I have looked into power management issues with the card and computer.
No improvement.

Unfortunantly in my group of 33, no one else has a D420. But, I will
check my colleagues with D410 and D430 to see what card/settings they
have.

This really is a goofy problem - hard to blame the card when it works
everywhere else. Hard to blame Windows when it works everywhere else.
Hard to blame the local wireless service when no one else has problems.
I am flumexed.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old May 20th 08, 04:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"mwmcca" wrote in message

Yep - my D420 has the same Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG
I've downloaded all applicable driver updates. The latest one offered
by dell is rev 11.5.0.32 dated 9/26/2007.

I have had the IntelPro set and Windows manage the wireles card. I
have deleted the profile on numerous occasions.

I have looked into power management issues with the card and computer.
No improvement.

Unfortunantly in my group of 33, no one else has a D420. But, I will
check my colleagues with D410 and D430 to see what card/settings they
have.

This really is a goofy problem - hard to blame the card when it works
everywhere else. Hard to blame Windows when it works everywhere else.
Hard to blame the local wireless service when no one else has problems.
I am flumexed.

Thanks for your thoughts!

While you're looking to match system models - which is fine - I would really
hope to find someone with that specific card in that environment.

I notice that your card matches (the poster) Trooper's down below (he is
having lockups/crashes as well).

Maybe one of you guys ought to call Dell and ask that they replace the card
just for S&G to eliminate the 3945 as a possible source of the issue. ?
(Assuming either of you have remaining onsite warranty).

A quick search says you guys aren't alone:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/21...3945-mini-card

Stew